Cat Spay Incision Site

Dukseonjungbong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys!

My cat got spayed 5 days ago and I'm so worried about how the incision site looks like right now. There seems to be an opening, and a discharge, but it does not smell. My cat is also playful, and eats well. I've taken this photo earlier. I've tried reaching out to her vet but they aren't answering my calls and they aren't open until Wednesday. I'm so worried. Can somebody help me? 😭

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It's been way too long since my cat Feeby was spayed (she's 16+yo) so I have no recent exposure to spaying. While that incision looks pretty long compared to what I remember, it doesn't look bad until you get to the end where it would appear a stitch might have broken or allowed that part of the incision to open.

Doesn't your vet offer an off-hour vet contact that you could call? Perhaps, they would let you send them a pic and advise you accordingly? If not that, do you have anyone you know who has a vet they might be able to contact and ask if they would be willing to take a look at a pic of it? IMO, it doesn't look bad in any other manner than that opening. However, having said that, if it were me I would want to see if there is any advice you could get about how to handle/treat that particular area.

Hopefully, other members who have dealt with spaying's more recently than I have will come along soon and offer their thoughts.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there an on call dvm or er dvm? You can take her in. For now apply some antibiotic ointment. It does not look terrible to me but a bit inflamed maybe.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree, it looks like the incision has come open at the end, and there is a good chance infection could have gotten in (hence the discharge) but I'm not a vet, so don't panic too much until you get her looked at.

If you can get in at another vet, then take her there ASAP, or send a photo so they can advise you if they will allow that.

You mention that she is playful. Its highly likely she has pulled some stitches while playing. Keep her as quiet as possible until the suture site has fully healed, which means try to prevent her from jumping on the couch etc as much as you can.

Oh, and PLEASE do not apply any form of ointment or cream until you have contacted a vet and asked their advice on it first. You can do more harm than good if you're not careful.

Best of luck, keep us updated!