Cat Spay incision site. Advice needed!! With pictures.

Rambo12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I took my 8 month old to the vets for her spaying surgery. I was wondering if anyone with experience can see if this is normal or not, before bothering my vet.

Rosie had her surgery done on Monday and its been 4/5 days.

She got used to her recovery suit but I could tell she was very uncomfortable and she struggled using the litter box with the suit on.

As soon as I took the suit off, she straight away went to groom herself. I've been distracting her from licking her wound though.

IMG_20211105_145957.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks good! a little redness, maybe even a little clear, mixed with blood discharge is normal. At 5 days she should not hurt it by licking. A lump felt underneath is normal too, inside swelling. Infection has a colored discharge, (white/green/yellow)is swollen, and she will act off, hiding and will quit eating. It looks good to me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rambo12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks good! a little redness, maybe even a little clear, mixed with blood discharge is normal. At 5 days she should not hurt it by licking. A lump felt underneath is normal too, inside swelling. Infection has a colored discharge, (white/green/yellow)is swollen, and she will act off, hiding and will quit eating. It looks good to me!
Thank you for the reply. I've decided on cutting the recovery suit in half so its just over her incision site and legs. Seems like a good compromise since she can still groom herself but without bothering the incision site.

She's usually a very hyper and active cat. Hope after her recovery she goes back to her normal self.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will. I have never used a cone or covered any spay I have had done, probably 20 cats, and have never had a problem....

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks good to me also. Quite a bit of healing should have taken place by now and there is usually internal stitches as well as external.