Cat spay incision opened a tiny bit, help

starryy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Skye was spayed on the 22nd and hasn't had a collar on or anything because the place she got spayed didn't give us one, and I can't go get one. She did irritate it about 3 days ago and I think opened it a tiny bit but healed back over in-between the times I check her incision. That's the spot lower down. But today she licked off a scab the upper area and it opened a tiny bit. It doesn't look infected to me and she's acting fine still trying to play and everything even though she's not supposed too. I can't take her to a vet so is it bad enough to convince my parents too? I've already mentioned it but they dismissed it without even looking so I want ask for others opinions before I try. Does it look like it will heal fine?

Attachments

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Maybe someone else may provide more information. But to me, it looks like a vet visit is needed. Collar is essential. If you can't get a collar, you can use a cat recovery t-shirt. You can also modify a baby onesie (to make space for their tail and to facilitate peeing and pooping) and use that. The whole point of a collar or a t-shirt is to prevent such issues.

An open wound has a high chance of being infected. I would strongly recommend that you convince your parents to go to the vet as soon as possible. If an infection develops, it will not only be stressful for Skye, who will be in pain (and is probably already in pain), but also for you. It will also increase the costs of treatment later on. Cats are very good at hiding their pain. So please consider that and go to the vet asap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your input, I'll try to convince them to take her to the vet but her incision looks a lot less inflamed, doesn't look red it looks more like a normal color, isn't smelling bad or secreting pus so I don't believe it's infected yet thankfully. The hole is closing back up a lot it's to a little pin prick now so if I can't take her to the vet I'll at least keep close watch. Again, thank you!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would watch it. If it starts weeping fluid, turns a very angry red color, or opens more fully then I would get her to the vet. Also, if you notice a change in her play habits, eating habits, or litter box usage, she needs to go back to the vet.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I had an issue like you did . Try and clean with with some dial soap and rise it with some clean warm after but not too much . And take some neosporin and sugar and mix it half and half .til it becomes a paste and apply a little bit over the incision two times daily . Keep an eye on it . Also they should have gave her a e collar . Cause when I picked my baby up she was sleeping with a cone on . It came with the spay . I know the sugar and sounds odd but believe me I tried it even though . I was scared too and In a matter of a few days . It healing and closing . And it’s almost healed . And I’ve been washing and cleaning the incision daily and removing any build up . On the incision and then drying it off and applying that paste . And I even talked to another vet and they even confirmed it does help with healing . But I would ask your vet before doing so . I hope she feels better

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Please do not do anything to the incision. If it becomes irritated, it will not heal and may become more concerning. Do not use Dial soap which can be problematic for cats, nor anything else which would impede healing.

How does it look now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 469411 it's looking better and is closed
Hi I had an issue like you did . Try and clean with with some dial soap and rise it with some clean warm after but not too much . And take some neosporin and sugar and mix it half and half .til it becomes a paste and apply a little bit over the incision two times daily . Keep an eye on it . Also they should have gave her a e collar . Cause when I picked my baby up she was sleeping with a cone on . It came with the spay . I know the sugar and sounds odd but believe me I tried it even though . I was scared too and In a matter of a few days . It healing and closing . And it’s almost healed . And I’ve been washing and cleaning the incision daily and removing any build up . On the incision and then drying it off and applying that paste . And I even talked to another vet and they even confirmed it does help with healing . But I would ask your vet before doing so . I hope she feels better
Please do not do anything to the incision. If it becomes irritated, it will not heal and may become more concerning. Do not use Dial soap which can be problematic for cats, nor anything else which would impede healing.

How does it look now?
I left it completely alone and monitored it to make sure it didn't get infected, it's basically fully healed now! It just a tiny scratch