Cat Spay Incision Infection - Pus Coming Out!

Udbhav R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat had her spay four days ago. And today, the cats incision area has become infected on account of licking (we tried our best) but the pus was only coming out of a very small area that was yet to be healed. I took her to the vet where the incision area was cleaned and then bandaged. In addition, the cat is continuing her antibiotic run (Toxo Mox).
It would be great if anyone could answer the following questions related to the above mentioned scenario.
1. Will the pus extend and ruin the healed incision area as well?
2. Can you advise me on how to stop the pus production? (I don't think drains are an option in the small town I live in).
3. Is this something of a major worry to have or something that will be fine with time if treated carefully? (I do not know much about how much time will it take for her to heal).

Dolphin500

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi to all,

I had my kitten spayed on wednesday morning and she was fine apart from not eating till last night I spoke to the vet today who said that the reason she was sick was proberbly the antibiotic med snuggles had she since coughed up frothy phlem but has eaten since & now is asleep next to me.

Do I need to contact the vet again.

Dolphin500.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
D Dolphin500 if she continues to improve from here, you can monitor at home. If the eating stops, more phlegm comes up, or anything else out of the ordinary, let the vet know.

U Udbhav R If the incision is bandaged by the vet, with instructions at to removing the dressing, and if your cat is on the antibiotics, she should start to heal and the pus should subside on its own. It should not ruin the incision. However, given that you did take her back to the vet and that she is on meds, if this does not start to improve very quickly, call the vet again. There are various cones available, and also onesie type suits for cats with incisions. If she continues to lick, you may not be out of the woods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Udbhav R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you fionasmom fionasmom I have made a DIY Onesie to keep her from it. I am extremely confused about how to do the dressing and cleaning of the spay incision. The vet said to use a topical liquid (Povidone-Iodine -- Betadine) and use cotton wool pads to clean up. However, in the rush of it, I couldn't understand things like whether I should leave it as is after cleaning or should i clean the liquid as well. Plus, a lot of online sources say that using topical creams on spay incisions can cause infections. Thus, I am very confused.
If you do not mind, could you please help tell me exactly what should i do and how? It would mean everything to me.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Only use what your vet told you to use. As for topical creams, those containing the pain relieving ingredient can't be used on cats. While I was not there with your vet, I assume that he means for you to clean the incision with the liquid and lightly rinse it with a clean pad. You have already seen him and paid for services, so call and ask for some information. A vet tech could help you and you should not have to take your cat back in just to have your questions answered.

Udbhav R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you! When should I expect the pus to lessen down? 12 hours, a day, or more?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
On antibiotics, unless this was a very serious lesion that she created, you should stop seeing any new production of pus, meaning it should not increase. I would give it a couple of days to see some improvement.

Udbhav R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It wasn't a big area where the pus was coming from. It was at the top of the incision, however. The vet said that 80% of her incision was healed, only 10 and 10 left at the top and the bottom, and then the infection comes in.
Since, I do not know much I searched about it online after coming home. Now, I'm a bit worried if it I'll turn into sepsis or something deadlier?
Please tell me if this is something I should be extremely concerned about or is this something that happens and goes away with antibiotics and cleaning up?
I'm really starting to regret getting my cat spayed, and with these rising complications; I am very stressed fionasmom fionasmom ...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Getting your cat spayed was a good decision. There are conditions that unspayed females can get which are truly unpleasant. I think that your vet would have mentioned a danger of sepsis if there was one. The incision should not change color or look worse in any way as it heals, unless she still bothers it. An incision which is 80% healed should heal the rest of the way with the treatment you are giving her. Watch how it looks; sometimes taking a picture every day allows you to really see if recovery is happening. If any other symptoms start, such as not eating again, vomiting, etc, call the vet.

Udbhav R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In addition, fionasmom fionasmom you said to not use any topical creams or liquid that contain pain relieving ingredients but Betadine, the one recommended by the vet officially says this: "Betadine cold sore paint pain relief formula contains: an antiseptic ingredient which helps check the infection, and a pain relieving ingredient which provides temporary relief from the pain of cold sores."
So, what should I do now? Please help!

Udbhav R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello LTS3 LTS3 Yes, they meant the Betadine anti-septic solution (your 2nd mention). So, is that safe to use on the infected spay incision? If it is then why is fionasmom fionasmom saying to not use one that has pain relieving ingredients in it? Getting into a dilemma!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, the general anti-septic solution is safe to use. Just be sure to read the directions for proper use and only use a small amount, enough to clean the incision area.

Some over the counter ointments made for people contain pain relieving medication that are toxic to cats. I think Fionasmom was just warning you about that.

Udbhav R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you! I would like to add that my cat is shivering from time to time and stretching its legs and throwing them up in the carrier. This is a video from yesterday... Is this a sign of healing or something bad? Please let me know.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay thank you! I would like to add that my cat is shivering from time to time and stretching its legs and throwing them up in the carrier. This is a video from yesterday... Is this a sign of healing or something bad? Please let me know.
Call your vet. Please. You're going to get the information you need much faster. With all due respect, I don't understand why you haven't done this already since you originally posted 4 hours ago.

Udbhav R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did yesterday only. It is 4 AM here right now today. The vet keeps saying that she is recovering and the irritation from the hair growth and incision healing might be causing her to be like that... I don't know what to do anymore. I'm really worried about my cat's health. sivyaleah sivyaleah

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please call the vet as soon as the office is open in a few hours. Cats should not shiver post-surgery. Keep your cat warm in the meantime. A hot water bottle wrapped in a folded towel will work. If your vet is not at all concerned about your cat's recovery, take your cat to another vet.

Udbhav R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys I am so confused and having a panic attack right now. I don't know if I should just trust the vet I have here or go to another city... Going to another town would mean a complete panic for my cat too. It is Day 5 and she is still shivering a bit, purring on her own, and stretching its legs from time to time. I am so lost

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also fill a sock with dry rice or beans and heat it in a microwave if you have one. She can snuggle against it - just make sure it isn't overly hot