Cat sneezing

rdog157h

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been sneezing alot the last 2 days, figure it must be allergies. I just gave him a Benadryl, I hope this will help him. The problem is I am leaving early tomorrow and will be gone a week. Is the sneezing a serious concern? I dont have time to take him to the vet and I dont wanna worry all week about him.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be an allergy, or an URI. Someone needs to keep a look at him, and if he stops eating, or becomes lethargic, he must be taken to the vet.
Please make sure to ask the vet for the proper Benadryl dosage, human meds can seriously harm cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rdog157h

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just crushed up a whole Benadryl pill and mixed it with his food, He ate it all so there is no problem in the eating department.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rdog157h

I just crushed up a whole Benadryl pill and mixed it with his food, He ate it all so there is no problem in the eating department.
Did you call the vet for this dosage? If this is what a human uses, it is way too much for a cat - it can be toxic.

rdog157h

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No didnt call vet, they are closed, its been over 1/2 hr he seems ok.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not give it to him again. Also, NEVER give human meds to your cats, unless prescribed by your vet... It can be deadly.
I would call poison control just in case - If your cat weighs 10lbs, you just gave him about 10x the dosage a human would take (if this person weighted 100lbs).

rdog157h

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well now I am getting worried, he started "panting" like a dog, his mouth is open and his it looks like he is panting, never seen him do that before.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well now I am getting worried, he started "panting" like a dog, his mouth is open and his it looks like he is panting, never seen him do that before.
Sorry I am reading this so late - you need to take him to the ER ASAP. He can be poisoned by the high dose of Benadryl. By this time I sure hope you already took him!

rdog157h

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea the old boy is ok, after a scolding from the emergency vet, a 2 day stay, and a big bill he is safe at home. It was just allergies and I gave him a "lethal" dose of human medicine which as I found out, the vet gets really mad about. I was trying to help my cat without spending an arm and a leg but almost killed the cat and paid alot more than if I had just taken him to the vet. Hopefully others dont do as I did!!! I remember my dad giving my old dog a benadryl for something, thats why I thought it was ok, but "soldier" was almost 100 pounds, "phil" is only 15 lbs.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your cat has allergies, talk to your vet about using regular over the counter Claritin. I have a herpes kitty who has severe airborne allergens and we have our vet's permission to give her up to 1/2 of a 10mg pill a day. We like to try 1/4 of a pill first, but sometimes the allergens here are horrific and we have to do the 1/2 pill dose. We use the Wal-Mart brand of Claritin and it's not too expensive.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God... I am so sorry, and also so relieved your cat is ok now... Please don't EVER give human meds to your cat again without talking first to your vet. In the case of a simple allergy, you can call the vet on the phone to discuss first - I called my vet a few times, and was never charged for. If the vet thinks he/she needs to see the kitty, take it to him/her first...
Good luck, and thanks for acting responsibly taking your kitty to the ER!

merindah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My cat has been sneezing alot the last 2 days, figure it must be allergies. I just gave him a Benadryl, I hope this will help him. The problem is I am leaving early tomorrow and will be gone a week. Is the sneezing a serious concern? I dont have time to take him to the vet and I dont wanna worry all week about him.
To be honest, I thought you were a troll when I first read your post. I am relieved to hear your cat is ok. Please don't give him human medications anymore!

mrgee355

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my vet told me it is 1mg per cats body weight for that pill  10 pound cat 10 mg once per day only