cat sneezing / eye and nose discharge

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has just been to the vet for ear issues (yeast and so has been on ear drops the past week plus a few days) and now has started sneezing, has some eye discharge (one eye only...I think) and constantly licks towards the nose area so probably a discharge there as well. Any advice? She goes to the vet tomorrow. Hopefully won't require pilling. She's already testy with me for trying to administer ear drops twice a day! Never had anything like this before other than an occasional sneeze now and then. Good appetite and no other changes but surely is not feeling the best. Guess I'll find out more tomorrow. She's about 13. Somehow can't imagine a connection between the ear drops and the sneezing (?)

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What are the ear drops? The ears, nose and throat are all connected in a way. I doubt it is the ears though. Most likely picked up a virus or cold at the vet. Be sure not to put any drops into your cats ears before your cats vet visit.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All of it sounds like it could be related to some sort of virus your cat has - particularly with the eye/nose discharge. Viral conditions can lay dormant and then flare up with stress, and perhaps giving the ear drops to your cat is stressing her enough for her body to react? But to have reached 13yo and never had a viral flare up before now is seemingly uncommon.

Are you administering ear drops to both ears? If not, is the eye/nose discharge on the same side? Too many variables and unknowns to venture a guess. But since she has a vet appt. be sure to give the vet all the details of what is going on. If you have a schedule for the drops, keep it unless the vet tells you otherwise. You might need to call them and ask about that.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If drops are put in before the visit they c add not see the ear canal dug to the drops.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replies! The drops are tresaderm 7.5 ml. Drops have been going into both ears. I’m not doing it tomorrow since she then has her appt on the afternoon. I’ve only noticed the one eye (right side) that is weepy. I truly don’t remember her ever being sneezy or with any sort of discharge like this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update following vet appt. They indicated that it's probably either allergy related (likely...although Marzi has never had allergy symptoms save for an occasional sneeze) or else URI. Vet said allergy issues have been particularly bad this spring so far. Apparently they look to see if the eye / nose discharge is clear (in her case it is) or else yellowish / greenish. The latter is apparently more indicative of an illness. So they put her on eye drops and also 1/2 tablet twice a day of the antihistamine chlorpheniramine. Seems to be sneezing less and eyes are looking better. Surely hope it is indeed either allergy or feline URI. Acting a bit more lethargic than usual but possibly drowsiness due to the med.