Cat sneezing/coughing?

peter.essex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My cat Holly has recently been doing this thing where she starts kind of cough sneezing, almost as if coughing up a hairball, but nothing comes out. This doesn't happen super frequently, maybe once every couple of days that I see. She also kind of jerks her head when she does it. Is this a cause for concern? I've attached a video.

iCloud

Thanks!

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
do you see any pattern of when it happens?
I would suggest going to vet once to remove doubts.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would suggest a Vet visit also. I could be asthma, which often shows up as a sort of cough, or even heart disease. Or perhaps it really is a hairball that is stuck. Or it's possible it's even a reverse sneeze (I can't really see your video very well). If you go to Youtube you can see videos a cats reverse sneezing. Take a look and see if that's what she appears to be doing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I could not see much in the video either, so not sure about the head jerking.

How old is Holly? Has she ever done this before? Have there been any changes in her environment recently, including seasonal ones (even if she doesn't go outside)? Litter changes? Carpet or floor cleaners you have recently used? Candles or other new type scents in the house? Gather as much information as you can, and even share a (better, more lighted) video with the vet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Asthma is my guess, so a vet check is necessary. If possible, take more videos and show them to the vet. My Daisy has asthma and has an attack about every 3-4 days. Her breathing/purr sounds wet and she starts gulping (big swallow) prior to an attack. We give her prednisone at night every 3-4 days and it helps. In between, we give her a nebulizer treatment.

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been doing this recently as well. Were you able to get a diagnosis?