Cat Slowly Coming Out Of Hiding After Vet Visit

Crazylove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realized that how I got my cat ready for transit to the vet was completely wrong. It was completely rushed and frightening for my lil bits which is an orange tabby...it has taking 2 weeks to get him to finally be comfortable with coming out in the living room with both my dad and I because we both were involved in traumatizing him trying to put him in a carrier to go to the vet for the first time in years...now that I know my mistake I will never make it again. My poor baby! If anything good is to come out of this I hope it is for other cat owners to research how to prepare your cat for the vet and make them the most comfortable they can possibly be!!!

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as catching and shoving in the carrier, most of us will leave the carrier out the night before (or longer) and lure them in with treats. One forum member even posted their two week pre-vet visit carrier adjustment plan!

But you know, you might still have some stress if you do the carrier right next time. Lil Bits just might be a bit slow to recover from stress at this point in his life. I certainly screwed up the carrier thing VERY BADLY multiple times when I was less cat-savvy and my cats always got over it really quick on coming home.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazylove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So glad to hear that! I took my other older cat female blossom at the same time and she came back and acted so normal right away so of course I was so worried about lil bits. They did have to get rabies shots and I found out that they had fleas...I guess from the stray cats we were feeding. So I also had to put a flea treatment on both of them and I believe that only made things worse. I'm just relieved that he is coming back out but I know I spoil him like crazy so that's probably also the other reason he reacted so negatively to the vet visit. I also forgot to mention that I had been away for r days and had just got back when i had to take them to the vet. Don't know if that also made him so skittish.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe? I had a cat that would pee in my suitcase when I came back from a trip! I think that can definitely cause stress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazylove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh man I definitely believe it after this experience...got to love our crazy furr balls though ;-)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
All of mine always freaked out in the carrier in the way on the way to the vet. One though always peed and pooped on herself every visit so the trauma of the vet visit was followed by the trauma of a bath. Usually took a few days for her to forgive me.