Cat skin condition

Rscottdds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long story shorter but we had a stray adopt us. We saw it hanging around our yard in the early AM (2 to 4) every night on our ring cams we put up a year ago (saw the cat the first night so not sure how long it was visiting us). We have an outdoor aviary and I think it stalked that area for the mice and rats that come for the birdseed. I started leaving food out for the cat and it would stop by and eat it. Did that for a month then started putting it out in the morning instead. I could see the cat crouching down on the far side of the property but it wouldn’t come eat until I went inside. After another month or so doing that I spent a few hours sitting near the food and it would get closer and closer until one morning she finally felt comfortable eating with me near. It now comes in the house through a doggie door and sleeps for part of the night inside. She will also let me brush her. Anyway when I first got to brush her she had some bumpy skin by her tail. This area has slowly spread and now it’s half way up her back and she is loosing hair (photo). Any idea what this condition is and how to treat it?
Robert
A1A028A6-A750-4C4D-AB04-8511F93BB91A.jpeg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really have no idea, but have you given her a spot treatment for fleas? A friend of mine had a cat that had a severe flea allergy and that is the area where it would start, and it would spread. If she hasn't been treated, I would get one of the appropriate spot treatments, most areas Advantage seems to be working the best. A vet checkup would also be a good thing, but I would wait a bit after the flea treatment. Vets understandably get pretty testy about an animal with fleas coming into the clinic.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aside from fleas, could this mange or maybe even walking dandruff? Do you have a trusted vet that you could send a pic to them and ask what they think? Perhaps they could even advise you if there is a way you could collect some skin scrapings (pretty harmless process) for them to sample, especially since you are already able to brush her. They could tell you how to collect and preserve it for bringing it to their office. If not, you probably need to take her to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rscottdds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I’m not sure I could get her to a vet without traumatizing her and losing any trust I’ve built up. Here is another pict from a week ago. We did take some scrapings/fur in but the vet hasn’t got back to us. My wife forgot to give them any picts.
74047DAE-0B50-4006-9F23-42722C4F189E.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, the vet does have skin scrapings? That is a good start! You can always send the pics via email if it would help them any, but the fact that they have skin scrapings is probably better. Did the vet say when they would be back to you with results? Keep us posted, please!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for your persistence in helping this stray kitty. :thanks: I'm glad you have been able to build up her trust. I can see the hair loss and her skin looks extremely dry. Does she show any signs of discomfort? I thought this Article about skin conditions in cats might have some helpful information for you: Skin Conditions In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Rscottdds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She doesn’t seem like it bothers her at all. But we live in an area with coyotes, bobcats and an occasional mountain lion in the neighborhood so she is one tough kitty. I’ll check out that article.

Rscottdds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
65A41A3D-B0A9-41FB-9A47-AB08076F82DB.jpeg

This is about 4 or 5 months ago and you can’t tell there is a problem. There were bumps on the back right by the tail but no fur loss.

Rscottdds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, the vet does have skin scrapings?
My wife brought some hair and flakey looking stuff into the vet when she brought our two dogs on last week. They took it but didn’t seem too interested in dealing with it since they weee busy. We will try and follow up today.