Cat Skin Ailment - Please Help!

catfella2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
My parents have a cat, named Kiki, that's had a long-term skin ailment for at least a year. I'm hoping someone can help.

View media item 320630
View media item 320631
View media item 320632
View media item 320633
View media item 320634
View media item 320635
View media item 320636
They've had the cat for 18 months to two years. The cat was a stray, found in a farm field as a kitten. It followed my mom home, but had fleas, and bumps on its neck that my parents felt were related.

They took it to the vet, which spayed the cat and examined it. The flea treatment eliminated the fleas, but the bumps on her neck have remained.

My parents are poor, and they're reluctant to incur the cost of taking the cat to the vet again - especially since they've already been, and the problem remains. This is their first cat in about 25 years, but they're decades-long dog owners, and in their experience, the vets in the area aren't great. Kiki is the only pet they currently have, and she's an indoor cat.

Aside from the raised bumps on her neck, Kiki also has occasional red, bite-like marks elsewhere on her body. She's reluctant to be touched and doesn't rub against the furniture. Starting more than a year ago, Kiki has been licking out her fur, starting at her rear and moving upward along her body. Most of her coat is now underfur; she has stripped out her main coat over about 2/3 of her body.

My hope is that, if someone here can provide some guidance, they may be more willing to take the cat to the vet. If they have some strong indications of what the problem may be, I think they'd be less likely to feel like a trip to the vet is a waste of time that will cost money without yielding any health outcomes for their cat.

So: what do you think the problem is? Any thoughts?

And thank you for your help!
Ryan B. 

Last edited by a moderator:

munmun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, there could be many reasons for this from food allegies, fleas, mites or stress. Best is a diagnosis from vet.
As he has bite marks I suspect fleas as there could still be some around the house. You also need to "deflea" the house as well as the cat. My first stray cat had fur mites and had fur loss as well. My vet prescribe Revolution for cats. It kills fleas, mites, stomach worms and many other stuff as well. Apply once a month on the neck for 3 to 4 months and see if there is improvement. If so continue until healed. Do not bathe the cat before or after application of meds for a few days.
I stop after all mites were gone and apply it occasionally for maintenance.
Use neem shampoos should you need to bathe the cat
Should he have fleas again, use Diatomaceous earth, human grade. Powder him and comb out. Powder his hangouts and vacumn it later. It's not effective once it touches water.
Lastly improve his immunity via diet if possible.
Best of luck and I hope it works. No guarantees as it my guess work only.

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
order you some DINOVITE for cats. It surely works after people have paid hundreds of dollars for oinments, etc. at the vets for skin allergies..