Cat sitting for the night

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Call me suspicious, but it doesn't sound to me like she was being cared for very well. I'd be tempted to not give her back to those people.
Agree!!! She does look quite skinny. She is a very pretty kitty though.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stanley looked like that when we got him. He's a long hair kitty and he was mostly head. He was 6 lbs. He's now 8 lbs, but you can still feel his spine and see his hip bones. We're taking excellent care of him (quality food, good medicine), but he still has dandruff and looks skinny. I'd hate to think someone would suspect we're neglecting him. Hopefully she's on her way up and back to health!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. I`m keeping calm. this will be the third time I`ve written this so I hope I dont lose it again.

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate all of them

Maisie is still here. He came back and was going to toke her to the RSPCA shelter NOT a cattery, which is what I kinda figured in the first place!
he lives upstairs in the house where I`m working. She was with his mum for 6 months and she is getting rid of her because she is moving into a new place and no one else wants her. She got her from a neighbour who got her as a stray.
I asked what food she was having?, 'Ordinary cat food'. Has she been to the vet for innoculations, 'no'.
Apparently they cut her food down because she was eating too much

Everyone whos seen her thinks she is emaciated. she`s got fleas too.
Now I`m having a major panic and I don`t know if I should take her on. What if Kitty doesn`t like her? What if she has something she could pass on to him...
I don`t know if it would just be best for her to go to the RSPCA. I would hate to keep her and find I couldn`t cope and have to give her up anyway.
I just dont know what to do.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the RSPCA isn't a No-Kill, don't take her there. If you have the funds & space, keep her. Things may be tough to start with, but if it is at all possible for you to keep her, please do so. Then take her to the vet(if you keep her). In the US, we test for FeLV, treat for fleas, deworm, & start vaccinations. Then book a spay appt.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So this cat is at your work place - so you can obviously keep her away from your Kitty until you can decide what to do.

Can you give her a flea treatment to start off with ?

One step at a time
we are all here for you

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate all of them

Apparently they cut her food down because she was eating too much

Everyone whos seen her thinks she is emaciated. she`s got fleas too.
Now I`m having a major panic and I don`t know if I should take her on. What if Kitty doesn`t like her? What if she has something she could pass on to him...
I don`t know if it would just be best for her to go to the RSPCA. I would hate to keep her and find I couldn`t cope and have to give her up anyway.
I just dont know what to do.
They cut DOWN on her food????????? I increased food for Buddy!! What were they thinking???

Hang in there.. Is it possible for you to take her home and keep in a separate room from Kitty until you get her to a vet and have her checked out for diseases?

I know it's really tough to decide whether to keep and try to introduce to another cat or surrender to RSPCA (only if it's a NO KILL shelter). I went through that with Heidi, then decided to foster her until I could find a home and now I've decided to let her adopt me permanently.

Hang in there!! We're here for you..

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Ann!

I`m just feeling really overwhelmed right now, just like when Kitty turned up.

Yeah, she`s in the works office which is basically a room round the back of my flat where I use the computer
and theres heating so it`s nice and warm for her.
I`m going to sleep on it and if I keep her she will be going to the vet tomorrow for check up and I can pick up flea treatment and wormer from there.
Kittys not seen her yet. He doesn`t seem aware that I`ve had anouther cat all over me. No sniffing. Not sure if thats a good or bad sign?!
The thing is, I`m out at work all day and I`m on my own here.
Also feeding is going to be akward what with Kittys problems. I don`t know what I`ve got myself into here

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pamela

They cut DOWN on her food????????? I increased food for Buddy!! What were they thinking???

Hang in there.. Is it possible for you to take her home and keep in a separate room from Kitty until you get her to a vet and have her checked out for diseases?

I know it's really tough to decide whether to keep and try to introduce to another cat or surrender to RSPCA (only if it's a NO KILL shelter). I went through that with Heidi, then decided to foster her until I could find a home and now I've decided to let her adopt me permanently.

Hang in there!! We're here for you..
Thank you!

I feel dreadful about it all. She`s such a dear little thing. She`s had it tough already and I feel like I`m just adding to it.

There is only a tiny room she could have in my flat. The bathroom has no window so I don`t think it would be nice for her.
It would be nice if she could stay here till the RSPCA found her a permanant home. I dont know if they would do that though. I will ring tomorrow and see what they think.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you!

I feel dreadful about it all. She`s such a dear little thing. She`s had it tough already and I feel like I`m just adding to it.
aww please dont feel bad, you are doing great, she's probably getting more love and attention than she ever did

She is safe, warm and fed, so she's gonna be just fine there !

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you!

There is only a tiny room she could have in my flat. The bathroom has no window so I don`t think it would be nice for her.
I KNOW how you feel!! Heidi was given up by TWO different owners before I fostered/adopted her.
She has gone through a lot so I know how you feel... Especially since one of my cats HATED her with a PASSION for about a year- I had to keep them separated (Heidi in bedroom with a window while Pepper could roam anywhere in the apt whenever I'm out)..
It's just NOW that it seems Pepper (who hated Heidi) has mellowed somewhat! Keeping fingers crossed it'll last.

Think about it this way- which is better - a room with no windows or be cooped up in a small cage? I think it'll be okay for her to be in a room with no windows for a WHILE as long as she has toys, attention, etc..

Hope RSPCA can help you! If they won't let you foster her, see if they know of anyone who'd be willing to foster or help you.. It won't hurt to ask.

Hang in there..

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The RSPCA is not a no kill shelter and they do put animals to sleep. I've heard a lot of horror stories about them so please don't take her there if there's any alternative. Do you have a cats protection branch near you? They would be a better bet, or maybe there is another local no kill shelter near you.

She does look rather thin to me. Cats with long hair usually look chunkier even when they're thin underneath due to the fur so if she looks thin then she's probably really thin, if you get what I mean!

Good on you for taking her in.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be in a hurry to decide -- the right thing will become apparent to you. For now, I think your plan is great... a checkup, wormer, flea treatment, shots if you can handle it... lots of TLC... a gradual introduction, just in case she stays awhile. Who knows, maybe Kitty will adore her!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. There is a Cats Protection near here. I didn`t realise the RSPCA wasn`t 'no kill'!

I`m going to e-mail them, see what they say. Whatever she will go to the vets tomorrow, see what they think of her condition.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats Protection are the best because their policy is they never put a healthy cat to sleep, unlike the RSPCA

Let me know if you have any problems because i'm in touch with the branch manager at the Cats Protection in my area.

Don't worry, take a deep breath and you'll be fine. Kitty might be ok with her you know, as long as you do the intros slow.

Your a little angel for looking after her!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you all for your support! Your all fab!

Good news! I`ve finally stopped flapping and come to a decision

SHE`S STAYING WITH ME!
We`ve just come back from the vets. She weighs 2 1/2kg!!!!
He smelt her breath and said he thought she was in kidney faliure so she had bloods done for that, a pre-anaesthetic blood test and FelV and FIV test, flea treatment and wormer and he said her teeth are really bad and need doing. Oh, and she`s a teenager!
He rang me with the results while I was buying her some bits

and said she`s clear for Felv and FIV and her kidneys aren`t that bad and it may be because she`s got trouble with her mouth that`s causing it. So, I`m going to book her in to get them sorted and he said they`d put her on a drip first to get some fluids into her and then we shall see how it goes.
He wasn`t very positive when we first went in. I really thought he was going to say she couldn`t be helped and I think thats what made my mind up.
She`s going to have a happy, warm, loving home with everything she wants for the rest of her life

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you all for your support! Your all fab!

Good news! I`ve finally stopped flapping and come to a decision

SHE`S STAYING WITH ME!
We`ve just come back from the vets. She weighs 2 1/2kg!!!!
He smelt her breath and said he thought she was in kidney faliure so she had bloods done for that, a pre-anaesthetic blood test and FelV and FIV test, flea treatment and wormer and he said her teeth are really bad and need doing. Oh, and she`s a teenager!
He rang me with the results while I was buying her some bits

and said she`s clear for Felv and FIV and her kidneys aren`t that bad and it may be because she`s got trouble with her mouth that`s causing it. So, I`m going to book her in to get them sorted and he said they`d put her on a drip first to get some fluids into her and then we shall see how it goes.
He wasn`t very positive when we first went in. I really thought he was going to say she couldn`t be helped and I think thats what made my mind up.
She`s going to have a happy, warm, loving home with everything she wants for the rest of her life
She's LUCKY to have you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With you, she will be well taken care of.
So her mouth is giving her problems huh? That's probabyly why she's so thin!! Keep us posted.

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!! Just checking in on this from work and I am so excited to hear this news. She is so lucky to have found you.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just thought I'd add...my Cow(5 this summer) has bad teeth. It causes his WBC(I believe) & kidney values to be off. After his dental cleaning, the vet said those should go back to normal!