Cat Showing Aggression? What to do?

jersey39

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm hoping I can get a little advice on one of my cats. There have been 4 episodes so far, and I'm afraid that it's just going to get worse. The first happened when I was just sitting on the couch watching tv one night, and all of a sudden, he jumped on my head, and bit me. The second, he was sitting on the bathroom sink, and I walked past him, and he bit my arm, and left a bruise. The third, I was just standing in the living room, and he ran at my legs, and grabbed onto them, and bit me, and the fourth, I was holding him, he was fine in my arms, but after I put him down on the couch, he ran at me and tried to bite me again. He's usually a very sweet cat, extremely active and curious, and he was fine until last week. We adopted him from the local SPCA in May, and he was fine until now. He hasn't shown any aggression towards my husband, or my 6 year old son, just me, but I'm afraid that he might go after my son one of these days. I'm just wondering if he's going after me, because I'm the one that shoos him off the counter and stove, and has been the one to bring him back inside after he's "escaped", as all of our cats are strictly indoor cats, as we live 100 feet away from the main passenger and freight train line, and I don't want them to get hit by the trains.
I'm hoping that someone could possibly give me some advice as to what I should do to curb the aggression towards me, or should I be really worried about the possibility that the aggression will soon be directed towards my son.

Thanks in advance!!!

alias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could it possibly be play motivated aggression? If not it may be that he thinks you are intruding on his territory.Whatever this behaviour is motivated by you should firstly have plenty of opportunities for your cat to play to release any aggression in a suitable way. Secondly rotate or get new toys so that your cat doesn't get bored. Avoid any play that involves your hands etc. It might be an idea also to have a water pistol handy to communicate your discouragment of this behaviour, or alternatively you could blow lightly in your cat's face. There is no reason as to why your cat would also be aggressive to your son to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jersey39

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really don't think it play motivated aggression. He has lots to play with, and also has another cat to play with. He's usually a sweet, affectionate cat. Just a few minutes ago, I just answered the phone, and sat on the couch, he was nowhere to be found at the time, and next thing I know, he's jumping on my shoulder, and he bit me again. The phone was for my son, and he was looking like he was going to go after my son, while he was on the phone. I stood there and watched, just to be on the safe side. Thankfully, he didn't. But he had that wild look in his eyes the whole time, and he did notice me watching him, and just left. I think that if I hadn't been watching, he would have jumped on my son's legs.
I have made an appt with my vet for this coming Fri, as the vet is out of town all week, to discuss what options we can consider, or if putting him down is the only option. I have a friend that is a vet tech, and she says to her, it sounds like he's trying to dominate me, and put me in my place, and so does the tech at my clinic. I'm hoping that we won't have to resort to euthanasia, but with the aggression problem, he'll probably be harder to find a home for. I don't know, I guess I'll have to wait until the end of the week.

alias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well i hope you get some answers soon, and be sure to let us know the outcome.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When he "attacks" what is your reaction? Also what have you done to determine the cause of the attack to be non play aggression? Toys around the home and another cat does not mean his play drive is satisfied. If u have never seen an outdoor cat "playing" they need true activity not a stuffed mouse toy. You need to be an active participant in play. This cat has a strong prey drive put it to use on something positive. Jack my orange cat loves to "prey" on me. He doesn't mean to hurt me-he would rather play with me than the other cats, he's not very social as he was separated from his mom early. He see's me as his best play buddy. I would never euthanize him because he occasionally bites when he wants to play! He only bites me not my husband unless he's being very active in his play.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jersey39

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When he attacks, I firmly say no to him, and all I get are extremely dirty looks. I do play with him quite a bit, especially when his playmate is sleeping, and he's looking to play. I am almost certain that it's not that he's trying to play with me, mainly because of the look in his eyes after he's done it, it's not friendly at all, and his mannerisms are not that of a playful cat. As well, when he is playful, his bites are a lot more gentle, and have never left marks, like the bruise he left on my arm the other night. As well, he's never scratched to the point of leaving a mark when playing, and he has left marks on my legs and shoulder when attacking me. The other night, when he bit me in the bathroom, it was after he followed me in, like usual, and he got up on the sink. He was purring and headbutting me, until I closed the door, and walked past him. He bit my arm, and gave me the dirtiest look I have ever seen him give me. I never see that look any other time, except after his attacks. He is very social, and very affectionate for the most part. I don't want to have to euthanize him, and that is why I am taking him in to the vet to see what he has to say.