cat show on tv

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If it was a CFA show, it was not a Bengal. Unless they had a HHP section, it was probably an oci. I'd really like to meet a Bengal in person and compare them side by side to tell the real differences so I could tell them apart
And CFA specifically says that bengals are not allowed even in HHP, but my question is how would they know?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiff,

It would be IMPOSSIBLE for a Bengal to be even 50 feet of a CFA sanctioned show - what more the Internationals. CFA does have agility rings FYI!

Even over here, Bengals and Munchkins are NOT allowed to even enter the HHP rings!

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Tiff,

It would be IMPOSSIBLE for a Bengal to be even 50 feet of a CFA sanctioned show - what more the Internationals. CFA does have agility rings FYI!

Even over here, Bengals and Munchkins are NOT allowed to even enter the HHP rings!
I just found that on the CFA site: http://www.cfa.org/org/minutes/Jun04.pdf

Says bengals aren't allowed in agility even when held by a separate entity (I guess 'cause they are worried someone might get hurt?
)

So how would they know if someone entered their bengal in the hhp class, especially if its a pet quality bengal that may look like and oci or mau? I guess they are just depending on the owner to be honest?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly Tiff,

You can tell a Bengal of any quality from any spotted cat from far away - especially the marbles! The pelt itself is a dead giveaway and so are the striking green eyes...

I myself have been to CFA shows here in Asia where there were Bengals entered in HHP (not in Malaysia), did a double take and said "those are Bengals, what on earth are they doing here?!" And at those two shows, the Bengals DID act up and did behave very badly indeed - thus confirming the most senior judge's opinion there (unfortunately it was the same senior judge in both shows which were 5 months apart and in two different countries!) that Bengals will NOT be allowed in a CFA show.

Sad, but true...I personally think Bengals are gorgeous cats and 95% are just wonderful. But even the TICA standards, Bengals are not allowed to act up in show rings (do correct me if I'm wrong).

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add....

I can only tell the difference between spotted Bengals (unless rosetted) and other spotted breeds "live" - in pictures...well, I still get confused!!!

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Honestly Tiff,

You can tell a Bengal of any quality from any spotted cat from far away - especially the marbles! The pelt itself is a dead giveaway and so are the striking green eyes...

I myself have been to CFA shows here in Asia where there were Bengals entered in HHP (not in Malaysia), did a double take and said "those are Bengals, what on earth are they doing here?!" And at those two shows, the Bengals DID act up and did behave very badly indeed - thus confirming the most senior judge's opinion there (unfortunately it was the same senior judge in both shows which were 5 months apart and in two different countries!) that Bengals will NOT be allowed in a CFA show.

Sad, but true...I personally think Bengals are gorgeous cats and 95% are just wonderful. But even the TICA standards, Bengals are not allowed to act up in show rings (do correct me if I'm wrong).
Thats really heartbreaking, that someone put their bengal in that show and it acted that way. In your opinion, was the cat being more misbehaved than any other cat would have been?

Anyone showing bengals needs to be very aware of that kind of stuff. Thats one reason why I will take my time before showing Ares and maybe Dreamer. I have to be 100% sure they wont be upset. I was thinking of just entering them in a show, but not taking them up to the ring. Just walking around with them to get them aclimated to the idea of it all.

And yeah, even in TICA (and ACFA) bengals are not allowed to act up. Its unfair really, because bengals are no more likely to act up in the ring than any other cat.

When I showed Duke for the first and only time, he was REALLY not liking it (just ask Shannon/Godiva!). He was hissing and growling the whole time. But the judge was really good about it and said that some cats get like that, especially for their first time out. Had that been a bengal, though, I have little doubt that the opinions would be different.

I think it will be a while, though, before attitudes change. But hopefully they WILL change!

tjwharton24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As far as the cat show being aired i just checked.

Next episode: Saturday at 12PM/11c On the game show channel

I missed it Sunday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tjwharton24

As far as the cat show being aired i just checked.

Next episode: Saturday at 12PM/11c On the game show channel

I missed it Sunday.
I can catch it this time. Thanks.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiff we are going to the Farmington ACFA show end of April - already sent Charlie's entry off last week, so perhaps I'll get to see the Bengal there.

Its easy to tell the marbles - I'm talking about the spotted

Perhaps I can get the owner (if any bengals are shown) and I together and get DH to take pics side by side
That way we all can learn