cat shelter

theblackcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Ao I recently made a shelter for my friend shadow the black stray cat. he comes every day to my parents back porch at around 3-5pm and i feed him. he climbs into my lap and takes short naps and then leaves shortly after if i dint stay out with him. i have tried putting some food inside the shelter but he just sticks his head in to get the food.he won't go inside without the food. do i just keep putting his food inside? also does anyone know of a good flea power that i can put in him(I'm not sure if he would let me put a collar on him).meow

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
you can try with diaacetomeus earth DE, make sure it is food grade.  works both  if eaten and on the outside too...

Otherwise, best is if you can get Revolution drop on, or similiar preparate.   Takes fleas, mites, most worms...

but before you buy any preparete, esp the OTC, do google or ask us.  Many OtC preparates are harmful.

Best if you ask your vet for advice, of course.

DONT use flea collars.  Most of them are directly harmful for cats.

Good luck!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a product called Capstar that works like the DE that Stephan mentioned.  You mix in in their wet food.

I would not put the food in his house - it may attract other critters or bugs.  You can build him a feeding station - just a roof with the two side walls.  It protects the food.  Again, though, I would not leave any food outside, especially after dark.  Too soon, you'll have a real pest problem if you do.

Also, some cats don't feel comfortable using a house with only one entrance - it can make them feel trapped.   Actually, there is a possibility they will be trapped by another cat, a raccoon or other predator.  Cut another entrance so he has an escape hatch.

Thank you for helping him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theblackcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you il look these up today.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

There's a product called Capstar
Capstar is nice and works instantly practically in one hour, but it kills off the adult fleas being there.   Very useful if you shall say, take in a new cat into the household directly from the street, and dont want to risk to infest your home with fleas.

But it must thus be combined with some more long term defleaser, as the flea eggs do survive, and become new fleas in a few days later.

Im not sure it it is the same Capstar Ondine tells about.  Capstar has perhaps developed still another dewormer??