Cat seizure

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all, not been on here for a v long time and not sure if this is the right place to post this? My lovely Grayson just had a seizure. We got him to the emergency vets right away and they have taken blood to test. Does anyone have any experience with this? He’s a neutered male age 11. Thank u in advance 🙏🏼

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry to hear about Grayson. There are a number of potential causes for seizures - diabetes, epilepsy, stroke, and tumors, just to name a few.

Wait and see what the ER vet tells you about their exam and blood work to see if they can provide some clarity as to the likely cause. Then, please let us know what they say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry to hear about Grayson. There are a number of potential causes for seizures - diabetes, epilepsy, stroke, and tumors, just to name a few.

Wait and see what the ER vet tells you about their exam and blood work to see if they can provide some clarity as to the likely cause. Then, please let us know what they say.
Thank you so much. His blood came back clear. They have told us to monitor him and if recurring they will send him for an MRI. Also gave us some Diazepam to administer should he go into a seizure again. Praying for our furry guy, he’s one of the family and we love him so much 😬

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Julia, just a note to ask the vet, see if they were able to take or can take Grayson's blood pressure. My boy Nico had a small seizure about a year ago, nothing since - but we had learned later it was connected to his undiagnosed high blood pressure. He's doing great now, and takes a very small dose of Amlodipine daily! Just as Feebys Owner states above it could be result of various things, but blood pressure is an easier one to rule out.
Good luck, big kitty hugs to your baby Grayson. ❤

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Julia, just a note to ask the vet, see if they were able to take or can take Grayson's blood pressure. My boy Nico had a small seizure about a year ago, nothing since - but we had learned later it was connected to his undiagnosed high blood pressure. He's doing great now, and takes a very small dose of Amlodipine daily! Just as Feebys Owner states above it could be result of various things, but blood pressure is an easier one to rule out.
Good luck, big kitty hugs to your baby Grayson. ❤
Thank u so much for the advice, the vet did say about blood pressure. Is that something they would have checked from his blood sample do u think? Not dealt with anything like this before. He’s suffered with urinary issues his whole life and has prescription food for this. But never had a seizure. It was so upsetting 😢😢

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the vet did say about blood pressure. Is that something they would have checked from his blood sample do u think?
Blood pressure is checked on a cat pretty much in the same way as it is with humans - with a pet-sized blood pressure cuff on one of the legs (some use the tail). I know some of the vets that I have dealt with down here don't make it a regular practice, I guess because they think it annoys the cat which creates unreliable readings. But the key to doing it is to take the pressure multiple times over the course of a vet visit in order to get a more accurate reading.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blood pressure is checked on a cat pretty much in the same way as it is with humans - with a pet-sized blood pressure cuff on one of the legs (some use the tail). I know some of the vets that I have dealt with down here don't make it a regular practice, I guess because they think it annoys the cat which creates unreliable readings. But the key to doing it is to take the pressure multiple times over the course of a vet visit in order to get a more accurate reading.
I agree, high blood pressure is not something they standardly check. The reason Nico's went unnoticed for so long is because the ER vet did not mention it was a possibility when we took him for his stroke episode. We only found out after I mentioned to our regular vet that he was now having issues with eye bleeds, and she immediately suggested BP reading.
Our vet used a special animal cuff with a little doplar device to hear their heart beat better and performed a series of 4 readings on his tail. The key is to try and get them as relaxed as possible g I know, not easy! My trick is holding Nico in his favorite position and talking smoothly to him while the vet takes the readings. He gets it checked every 6 months just like his human dad to make sure his medicine dosage is still appropriate.

Good luck, hopefully you get some answers soon for Grayson! ❤

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree, high blood pressure is not something they standardly check. The reason Nico's went unnoticed for so long is because the ER vet did not mention it was a possibility when we took him for his stroke episode. We only found out after I mentioned to our regular vet that he was now having issues with eye bleeds, and she immediately suggested BP reading.
Our vet used a special animal cuff with a little doplar device to hear their heart beat better and performed a series of 4 readings on his tail. The key is to try and get them as relaxed as possible g I know, not easy! My trick is holding Nico in his favorite position and talking smoothly to him while the vet takes the readings. He gets it checked every 6 months just like his human dad to make sure his medicine dosage is still appropriate.

Good luck, hopefully you get some answers soon for Grayson! ❤
Thank u so much for the advice, I’ll defo check this with the vet on our next visit. So far so good and no more seizures. We have all our paws crossed ❤❤

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank u for your advice, it’s amazing what vets can do with our fur babies ❤❤

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've only just read this and I'm very sorry to hear it. Hopefully it's a one off event. We can talk next time we meet.
Ahh thank you Mr Boosh. Thankfully no more since. They were so good at Oakmount. Been giving Betty plenty of cuddles on the way past 😺

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi- It's been a long time since I've visited this site and just came upon your thread. Does your food contain gluten? A lot of prescription food has gluten in it. Some cats have a sensitivity to it and develop seizures over time. If it happens again, look into possibly changing his diet. I had a client with the very same issue (Hills prescription wet and dry) and had her get the cat off gluten. Her cat stopped having them. I know drugs can be helpful but wouldn't you rather find the cause and solve it, rather than just treat the symptoms?

It's worth a look.