Cat Seizure?

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat just had a seizure. It first started with a sneeze, he has this outburst sneezes where he sneezes 10 times in a raw and shakes his head hard so after he finished that he had a seizure.
It lasted for a couple of seconds and everything went back to normal. And my vet is in vacation so I'm watching him.
Anyone had this problem, anyone had cats with seizures before?
What do I do? How can I help him to stop the sneezing and seizures?
Can he die from this?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First you need to understand why your cat is sneezing. Is it a cold? Is it just? Is it an allergy? Is it something in his nose?
Unless you know what is causing the sneezing you can't find a solution to it.

The seizures. If they are of short duration, less than 20-30 seconds, they are scary but not potentially dangerous.
Longer seizures can be potentially fatal, especially when frequent.

What you can do during a seizure? Nothing, just make sure the cat doesn't get hurt by bumping against furniture, or falling from a chair. Try not to restrain him, wait for the seizure to be over before holding him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First you need to understand why your cat is sneezing. Is it a cold? Is it just? Is it an allergy? Is it something in his nose?
Unless you know what is causing the sneezing you can't find a solution to it.

The seizures. If they are of short duration, less than 20-30 seconds, they are scary but not potentially dangerous.
Longer seizures can be potentially fatal, especially when frequent.

What you can do during a seizure? Nothing, just make sure the cat doesn't get hurt by bumping against furniture, or falling from a chair. Try not to restrain him, wait for the seizure to be over before holding him.
My cat has this outburst of sneezing period for the last 4 years, it happens about 1 time a year and I' not sure if it' allergies or just his herpes virus acting up. He is on lysine and now taking some vitamins that the vet gave him for immune system and this helps with his sneezing and runny eyes.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about this! How’s he doing now?

Here’s an article that gives more information about seizures in cats and what to do: Seizures In Cats

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about this! How’s he doing now?

Here’s an article that gives more information about seizures in cats and what to do: Seizures In Cats
He is sleeping like nothing happened, I'll read it.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it's a chronic situation. You can't help him much on this.
Follow those tips about the seizures, then talk to your vet as soon as you can .

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So it's a chronic situation. You can't help him much on this.
Follow those tips about the seizures, then talk to your vet as soon as you can .
Are chronic seizures bad? What exactly are they?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I meant that the sneezing is chronic, so you can't do anything to prevent this from happening, as you asked in the first post.
A seizure is very well described in the link which has been provided in abyeb abyeb 's post.
My cat had three seizures that we witnessed in her life, all within 5 months. The vets couldn't understand the causes.

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, I meant that the sneezing is chronic, so you can't do anything to prevent this from happening, as you asked in the first post.
A seizure is very well described in the link which has been provided in abyeb abyeb 's post.
My cat had three seizures that we witnessed in her life, all within 5 months. The vets couldn't understand the causes.
Ohh I see, yes I read the article, thank you.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Seizures can be due to a brain injury, such as a stroke or due to a tumor.
When Allison :rbheart: started having seizures, we discussed the options to diagnose and treat the condition. The vet offered to send us for a $1500 imaging test that would tell us if there was a tumor. We asked if we could treat the seizures without knowing the specific cause.

Allison was always terrified after a seizure, and would run and hide afterwards. We successfully treated the seizures with a steady course of phenobarbital. The phenobarbital started to work 7 or 8 days after we started the drug.
We successfully treated her for 2 1/2 years before the seizures increased dramatically and medication was no longer effective.
We evaluated her quality of life and her distress level and let her go.

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seizures can be due to a brain injury, such as a stroke or due to a tumor.
When Allison :rbheart: started having seizures, we discussed the options to diagnose and treat the condition. The vet offered to send us for a $1500 imaging test that would tell us if there was a tumor. We asked if we could treat the seizures without knowing the specific cause.

Allison was always terrified after a seizure, and would run and hide afterwards. We successfully treated the seizures with a steady course of phenobarbital. The phenobarbital started to work 7 or 8 days after we started the drug.
We successfully treated her for 2 1/2 years before the seizures increased dramatically and medication was no longer effective.
We evaluated her quality of life and her distress level and let her go.
Yes, they told me today that the ct scan and all needed to see what' wrong with him would cost between 2000 and 3000$. Now, I am keeping an eye on him, I do think his seizure was caused by him shaking his head hard when sneezing, until his regular vet comes back and maybe he has an idea of treatment. I just hope it doesn' happen again.
I thought a lot about putting my cat down, if in the future would come to that and I don't think I could do it, in fact, that is my fear, if ever I would have to make that decision, I just hope I don' have to.