Cat seems to pee out of anger- out of control

MommaTaft

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea... cats don't have the same kind of emotions as we do. They don't retroactively think 'You did this, so I'm going to do that to you.' And even if they did, the cat would have no idea that peeing on things is a good way to get back at you. Cats don't pee on each others things to get back at one another. xD

Something is wrong, whether it be UTI, cancer, pain, who knows. Find a new vet/a pet behaviorist and keep trying.
Actually, they do. My 4 year old female cat has peed on my lap once and on my bed once right in front of me. Both times was because of the new female cat in the house. She was pissed off. When we separated them, she stopped doing it. The day after we put them in the same room together, she constantly growled at the other cat, jumped onto my seat and peed on my leg. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Shastababy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 and a half year old netered male pees out of spite. Last night my husband got up to go to the bathroom and took a piece of foam away from him. When we got up this morning, he had peed on the couch right where my husband sits. It is not a litter box issue. He has done this before if I do something he doesn' like such as not letting him outside for a few days(due to really bad weather or it was very cold). In those cases he would pee where I sat.

ssHarper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While I don't think cats can hate I do think there's plenty of evidence that they can be annoyed. It's insulting to imply that cats aren't complex enough to feel that level emotion. And when cats are annoyed - they can act out. Like most other animals. My parents have a cat that insists on going outside and if you do not let him out immediately he will swish his tail angrily, stalk around the house, and before long you will catch him spraying.

I myself have a cat that started peeing outside of the litter box when she is annoyed. I tried working with her, the box is cleaned religiously, the other two old cats don't bother her, she has everything she could want including premium food, cat toys, a porch to sunbathe on, family members who can provide her vet care as they own their own office. And yet, I have caught her on several occasions acting out by peeing. She was annoyed with a bell collar that kept her from catching small animals, she peed within minutes. Today she was annoyed (she also tail swishes), because I kept her from going onto the porch because she didn't want to wear the bell and she leaped onto a neighbor's porch earlier that morning who does not like animals. She ran downstairs and instantly peed on the carpet.

Cats are complex animals and can certainly feel frustrated and act out. That's not to say they are bad. Dogs often will act out when they don't feel their "needs" are being met. However, they are not intelligent enough to know about the world in as much detail as you as a human do. Just as my cat can't know she is in danger when she goes to the bad neighbor's porch, she doesn't know that her peeing behavior will lead to her being rehomed. It is unfortunate, but don't let people tell you cats can't think and feel and respond to their surroundings negatively. Or react positively. I have two other cats who have never done any such thing. But all cats are different just as every dog or person is.

Good luck to anyone out there also having this problem.

Kim03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is peeing on the sofa in the conservatory. We have an indoor cat, and have a catio with a cat flap leading to it from the conservatory, which includes her litter tray.

Usually I shut her in there so she can eat (she eats 1 day old chicks), and leave her in there for about an hour as sometimes she pukes up (on the sofa ofc...) The reasons that I close her in there while eating are:
1. the baby is sticking everything in her mouth and
2. she likes to eat in peace, if she's disturbed she'll try to eat her chicks somewhere else. She doesn't eat the guts or I don't really know, she always leaves some disgusting looking fleshy part of the chicks and it's easy to wipe the floor afterwards as it's tiled. (Been there done that, discovering flesh and blood on carpets in the old house)...

I let her in the house during the day but put her back in with dinner when the baby goes for a nap. She eats two chicks roughly every 3-4 hours. We don't let her out the living room at night as she used to disturb us and the kids at night (meowing, trying to open doors etc, jumping on me at night). The living room has a door to the rest of the house btw. We also have a chinchilla in the living room, so she's not alone at night. So she has access to the entire downstairs (apart from the kitchen).

Anyway, we had some throws on the sofa (in conservatory) and she started peeing ALL over them! So I removed them, and cleaned the sofa. All was good. The other night I went to let her in and caught her peeing on the sofa! She is 100% doing it because she doesn't like being shut in there. Sometimes we have to keep her out for a bit longer so the chinchilla can have "play time". Otherwise she'll chase the poor animal.

So i'm trying not to leave her in there for too long, especially in the evening, once kids are bathed and in bed she comes out.

Btw, the conservatory is really big, has an L shape sofa (that currently stinks of cat piss again), a giant cat tree, a cat wheel and then a catio with shelves and litter tray. Also water fountain for her to drink. So she has everything she needs in there at all times.

Before we moved house, we had built a large catio coming off the back doors, I was sorting out some clothes from the attic in there as it was summer. I left the box of clothes out there and left her outside, and she peed on those too. So she defo gets the hump if she's locked out.

Has anyone else ever heard of this or had this problem? Btw our cat is a Savannah, don't know if that makes any difference...

I am thinking of removing the sofa now, either stick it in the garage for now after another clean or taking it to the tip. I don't think i'd ever feel comfortable sitting on it no matter how many times it's cleaned. Imagining all the cat pee spots and where's she puked up half digested chicks...

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll start by saying that I disagree with the general wisdom that cats are incapable of feeling angry and acting out in response.

The more we learn, the more we're discovering that the mental world of cats, dogs, and other mammals is a lot more like ours than we originally believed. Cats and dogs feel anxiety, aggression, dislike/hate, jealousy, and love. we even can treat disorders of aggression and anxiety with many of the same drugs that we use on humans, and generally get similar results.

Obviously the emotions aren't as complex as those of most adult humans, but they tend to match up fairly well in many cases to those of human toddlers, and toddlers are capable of "tantrum" type behaviors.

With that said, cats tend to throw tantrums by knocking things over, going places they know you don't want them, "screaming", and swatting or biting people, not urinating outside the litter box.

if a cat urinates or defecates outside of their liter box, it nearly always means that the box is dirty, the cat is physically or psychologically unwell, or that the cat believes that the litter box is an unsafe place (most frequently because a different cat in the house attacks them when they use it.)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is peeing on the sofa in the conservatory. We have an indoor cat, and have a catio with a cat flap leading to it from the conservatory, which includes her litter tray.

Usually I shut her in there so she can eat (she eats 1 day old chicks), and leave her in there for about an hour as sometimes she pukes up (on the sofa ofc...) The reasons that I close her in there while eating are:
1. the baby is sticking everything in her mouth and
2. she likes to eat in peace, if she's disturbed she'll try to eat her chicks somewhere else. She doesn't eat the guts or I don't really know, she always leaves some disgusting looking fleshy part of the chicks and it's easy to wipe the floor afterwards as it's tiled. (Been there done that, discovering flesh and blood on carpets in the old house)...

I let her in the house during the day but put her back in with dinner when the baby goes for a nap. She eats two chicks roughly every 3-4 hours. We don't let her out the living room at night as she used to disturb us and the kids at night (meowing, trying to open doors etc, jumping on me at night). The living room has a door to the rest of the house btw. We also have a chinchilla in the living room, so she's not alone at night. So she has access to the entire downstairs (apart from the kitchen).

Anyway, we had some throws on the sofa (in conservatory) and she started peeing ALL over them! So I removed them, and cleaned the sofa. All was good. The other night I went to let her in and caught her peeing on the sofa! She is 100% doing it because she doesn't like being shut in there. Sometimes we have to keep her out for a bit longer so the chinchilla can have "play time". Otherwise she'll chase the poor animal.

So i'm trying not to leave her in there for too long, especially in the evening, once kids are bathed and in bed she comes out.

Btw, the conservatory is really big, has an L shape sofa (that currently stinks of cat piss again), a giant cat tree, a cat wheel and then a catio with shelves and litter tray. Also water fountain for her to drink. So she has everything she needs in there at all times.

Before we moved house, we had built a large catio coming off the back doors, I was sorting out some clothes from the attic in there as it was summer. I left the box of clothes out there and left her outside, and she peed on those too. So she defo gets the hump if she's locked out.

Has anyone else ever heard of this or had this problem? Btw our cat is a Savannah, don't know if that makes any difference...

I am thinking of removing the sofa now, either stick it in the garage for now after another clean or taking it to the tip. I don't think i'd ever feel comfortable sitting on it no matter how many times it's cleaned. Imagining all the cat pee spots and where's she puked up half digested chicks...
Have you considered feeding her a different food? She shouldn't be throwing up this often, and it doesn't seem to be agreeing with her.

thebosscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Guys, I know people/science are saying that cats don't have the same emotions as we do, but that's just not true. There are more evolved cats than others. My cats are extremely self aware. And their attitudes are deliberate. My middle cat gets mad when I don't want to give him attention right then and there, hell walk over to my movies... Stop and look me dead in the eyes.... I'll tell him "NO, don't you do it! "... Then he'll start knocking them all down then take off running. My youngest kitten is the worse tho... She's a bully (because she non stop attacks the other two, I think she's a dominant cat tho and that's why) And when I miss ONE night of scooping her litter... ONE night... Shell jump on me... Look me dead in the eyes... Shell even squint her eyes into a glare then pee right on me. I'm telling you its an attitude issue. It may not be spite, but they are definitely punishing us for something they disagree with. Now I do agree though that in this specific situation there is something going on with your cat Mouse. You need more litter boxes. And maybe different litter. The smell probably makes her sick as well cause I've seen my other cats take a wiff of the litter box after another just used it, then gag, then throw up. So maybe a fragrance powder to mix in the litter too. But definitely more than three. Maybe 6-9 for now just to see if shell stop. If she does or she slows down.... Well then... Maybe one or two Giiiiant self made litter boxes may help. But she also may be spraying. Both male n female cats can be dominate, and if they are dominant (its like a born into royalty kind of thing its pure instinct) they will definitely spray everything. Fixed or not. My baby girl is dominate, and I'm not looking forward to when she's older n starts this behavior.... Its why I'm tryin to hurry and get a house with a yard. Hoping it'll make things less stressful and more fun for my kitties who want to play outside.