Cat seems thinner but gained weight?

MsBrie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat isn’t well and I was hoping for advice
He’s a year and a half tabby. He’s always had chronic nasal issues and I recently noticed the symptoms come up again. These include nasal and ocular discharge, being overly tired (yes even for a cat) and he’s eating but not as enthusiastically. I also noticed he looks and feels thinner. I took him to the vet and when he was weighted, he’d GAINED 0.4 lbs, which was confusing. The vet treated him with a antibiotic and steroids shots. He didn’t indicate that I should be worried.

I recently lost a cat (old age) so maybe I’m being paranoid, but I’d like to hear if anyone else has had this experience.
Thank you.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
It almost sounds as though because he's not being active, he's lost a little muscle?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MsBrie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
It almost sounds as though because he's not being active, he's lost a little muscle?
I dont think he has, I mostly notice the weight loss around his back and just from lifting him. Before this he was pretty active with play as well.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw something similar to my 6 years old tomcat (integer).
In fact, he eats almost 200 g of wet food per day, but he eats only during nighttime.
When he used to eat dry food, he eat far less.
Conclusion : it very much depends on the calories per serving.
So eating "more" or "less" is subjective, in my experience

MsBrie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont think he has, I mostly notice the weight loss around his back and just from lifting him. Before this he was pretty active with play as well.
I don’t know if there is a specific way to tell, but I looked him over a bit and he doesn’t seem as though he lost any from just feel.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The way I weight my cat is to weight myself with him and then without him. on a regular bathroom scale.
It is much more precise than weighting him directly, because the scale sensors (even those of a scale for babies) may not be suitable for a moving cat :-)

MsBrie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The way I weight my cat is to weight myself with him and then without him. on a regular bathroom scale.
It is much more precise than weighting him directly, because the scale sensors (even those of a scale for babies) may not be suitable for a moving cat :-)
That’s a good idea, thank you

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Muscle weighs more than fat, so if he's lost some fat but gained muscle from play, that will explain it.

If he's still growing, he may also appear thinned out but have gained mass. Cats can grow up to two years so that can likely explain it easily. We used to think cats only grew for one year, but now we know differently!