Cat seems scared

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Forum,

My 6 year old kitty has not been feeling well, he has gone to vets and still not acting like himself lately, and have another one coming up in two days. Did notice some strange behaviors and was wondering if anyone has experienced.

I was just giving him his favorite dry food in the usual plastic tall container, as I was trying to open the container he immediately ducked/dodged (not sure what is a good word) he acted like I was going to hit him but I wasnt, and I never have, I noticed it few times. Also I just came back from my car and picked up some mail, he was at the door he looked at me and then ran, not in a playful way but like he was scared.

It breaks my heart he seems so scared, and is afraid of the one person who loves him so much. He used to be so playful and a brat..... :(

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes when a cat feels "off" or unwell, they can have these personality changes. They can be more scared or skittish. Part of that is their self-protective nature. Could it be vision related? Did anything scare him recently? Sometimes if something fell/made loud noise and scared them they can have the "heebie geebies" for a few days?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat acts like this when he's not feeling well. Everything startles him and scares him. It's so hard to watch, especially when you know the noises/actions are not intentional.

What symptoms is your kitty having? Has the vet done bloodwork, an x-ray, or sonogram to rule out things?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Kris....

As far as i can see his vision is good. I dont think anything has scared him he hasnt been feeling well and has been really quiet for weeks now, vet told me he probably has IBD. I tried switching food but he doesnt like the food. Everything else he seems normal, eating, drinking, peeing pooping.

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Stephanie, not really any symtoms except being super quiet, he used to be so playful and active, yes it is hard to watch. xray, ultrasound, blood test. I have been to two vets already today I am going to see a holistic vet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the vet thinks he has IBD, he should've given you something for indigestion and steroids to reduce inflammation. Those two things will help immensely. What food did the vet recommend? Some of the RX foods for IBD are not all that great, so many IBD kitty owners feed regular food, but nothing with chicken.

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I never liked prescription food and have stayed away for all the cats I have. For this kitty I gave in because I dont know what else to do. Thanks for reminding me of the steroids, I might ask my vet today, she probably wont use steroids since she is holistic, but I can always ask the other vet. Also thanks for pointing out about chicken, I will have to be more careful.