Cat scratching

mrshuxtabones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wondering if anyone has advice to stop cats scratching furniture. They have a scratching post but like to scratch the couch which is right next to their scratching post.. I've tried moving the post to somewhere that they walk past all the time but no luck. I've heard that they don't like certain smells so to spray whatever smell it is on the furniture but I can't find out what that something is.
It's driving me insane.
Thanks for advice in advance

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Citrus smells are usually a good deterant but you need to work out what your cat likes to scartch buy a variety of scratchers cardboard sisal material/carpet and see what he goes for double sided tape applied to the furniture is something I have heard done with great success

teddytimble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wondering if anyone has advice to stop cats scratching furniture. They have a scratching post but like to scratch the couch which is right next to their scratching post.. I've tried moving the post to somewhere that they walk past all the time but no luck. I've heard that they don't like certain smells so to spray whatever smell it is on the furniture but I can't find out what that something is.
It's driving me insane.
Thanks for advice in advance
Hello

My little cat is a housecat and has to scratch her claws on something!  I bought a strong cardboard flat type but she just sits on this, so I am going to try one of the sisal ones, I don't want one with carpet because that is what I would rather she did not claw.  She does give my mum's old chair a good scratch which I don't care about because it is now "her" chair and was already scratched by one of my other cats when he was alive.  I tried putting cat nip on the scratching board which she liked but still she did not scratch the board.  If you find one that "works" please let me know .  The only other thing I do is take her to the vet regularly to have her claws trimmed.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can get sprays to deter areas you dont wantvher to scratch aand I find liquid cat nip (in a spray bottle) works best and tbh you could get a carpet one with a distinct pattern so the difference is visible to cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrshuxtabones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm going to try a citrus spray first and buy a different scratching post/mat.

Drives me insane!!

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats will scratch the material that feels good to them. For your cat, that would be the couch. Make your cat a scratching post out of similar material, shape and height to the couch. That should do it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Double sided tape works really well, and eventually they learn to avoid the area and you can remove it. Those corrugated flat cardboard scratchers were a Godsend for me, you sprinkle the cat nip on them that comes with them and my cats love them so much they leave my furniture alone entirely now! Good luck, I hope you find something that works.