Cat Scratching walls, ruining paint

kittymama2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MyOne of my cats is ruining my walls (I live in an apartment so I think if my landlord saw them it would be considered damage- bye- bye damage deposit, sigh). He has been kind of 'climbing' them so to speak. Its the corners in the door frames of the kitchen. How can I stop him without further damaging the walls. Why does he do this?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get him a cat tree. That might satisify his need to use those nails. Also, can you block the areas he is using as a scratching post? Use tables, chairs, even sheets of wood. Anything to prevent him from coming into contact with these areas.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is he neutered? You can go and buy cheap corkboard (bulletin board material) at places like Home Depot and put that up on the wall where he is scratching to protect the wall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymama2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't really get him away from there. It is near his cat dish and I have no where else to put them in the apartment.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he has nothing else to scratch he will go after something. You might look for double sided tape to cover that corner - they sell something specifically made for cats at stores like Petsmart.

If you don't have room for a cat tree, get some cardboard scratchers and put them around your apartment.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he is not neutered, he needs to be- soon the scratching will lead to spraying otherwise. I would rather they were scratching the walls than spraying the house personally.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Soft Claws http://softclaws.com/ work well, they still scratch but it causes no damage because of the caps. I use them with Attitude and Nuts and they work great. I just check and make sure none have fallen off, that is the only time there is an issue.

Taryn

abacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain, Abby is doing the exact same thing to the corners of the doors to my kitchen as well. We also live in a rental so we will have to do a little dry wall work before we move. The funny thing with Abby is she never did it at our house but decided to do it in a rental.