Cat scratching ears and face. Think it's a reaction to a bug bite gotten outside. Best way to stop itching?

theorangecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my cat outside in the backyard last week -- leashed and supervised -- and since then he's been scratching at his ears and face a lot. He just scratched a tiny sore around his eyebrow area today, but otherwise his skin is fine. Just much more scratching than normal.

I took him to the vet yesterday, and they said his ears are clear and everything looks fine. Last time he was scratching like this, he had gotten a flea bite from a flea the dog brought in. The vet wouldn't do a steroid shot this time, though that is what worked last time to quell the itch.

What can I do to make the itching stop? I've checked him over and haven't found anything on his skin. I think he simply got a bug bite and, since he's sensitive to those kinds of things, has been extra itchy.

I've already given him a bath, but it was just with his regular shampoo. Should I try an anti-itch shampoo? I'm very wary of its effectiveness since he's scratching his facial area, and I wouldn't feel comfortable washing that area with soap. Any other suggestions?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 will often suggest chamomile tea, bought from the store (rather than the garden grown varitety which can be toxic for cats), brew it, chill it and dab on the itchy areas. It's antifungal, antibacterial and will ease the discomfort, plus if he ingests some it's safe :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theorangecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you know what the difference is that makes the grocery store one safe but the garden one toxic? I'm extremely paranoid about possible poisoning after we had a scare a few years back.

theorangecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 will often suggest chamomile tea, bought from the store (rather than the garden grown varitety which can be toxic for cats), brew it, chill it and dab on the itchy areas. It's antifungal, antibacterial and will ease the discomfort, plus if he ingests some it's safe :)
Do you know what the difference is that makes the grocery store one safe but the garden one toxic? I'm extremely paranoid about possible poisoning after we had a scare a few years back.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To quote Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ; DO use the commercial tea bags, as those are all German chamomile, medicinally active and safe for cats. The English variety is useless and toxic to cats. ALL COMMERCIAL chamomile tea bags are German, BTW, so just grab a box of otherwise unflavored chamomile tea at the grocery store, brew a cup, and chill before using. It can also be used internally for anxiety.

theorangecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To quote Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ; DO use the commercial tea bags, as those are all German chamomile, medicinally active and safe for cats. The English variety is useless and toxic to cats. ALL COMMERCIAL chamomile tea bags are German, BTW, so just grab a box of otherwise unflavored chamomile tea at the grocery store, brew a cup, and chill before using. It can also be used internally for anxiety.
Thank you! This made me feel much better about grabbing some tea next time I'm at the store.