Cat scratching carpets

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

Maybe this isn't the cat for you? You sound really frustrated and overwhelmed and understandably so. Would this be a situation where rehoming is the right answer?
Rehoming is stressful for kitties, and there is no guarantee that the munchkin won't end up being one of the approximately 70% in shelters that are put to sleep, especially if relinquished because of destructive behavioral issues.

I would consider that an absolute last resort before scratch prevention alternatives personally.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Rehoming is stressful for kitties, and there is no guarantee that the munchkin won't end up being one of the approximately 70% in shelters that are put to sleep, especially if relinquished because of destructive behavioral issues.

I would consider that an absolute last resort before scratch prevention alternatives personally.
I agree but the OP seems incredibly stressed by the suggestions that have been made. It may be in the cats best interest to live in a new place.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried those corrugated cardboard floor box scratchers? They are cheap and most cats just love those. Some cats just like to scratch on the floor and the cardboard scratchers solve that problem. It is worth a try. And if your cat prefers that, I would get a few of them. All of my cats love to run around from one to the other to scratch. They even like to lay on them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by tkaner

What about playig with him more. Mine get into mischief and scratch the carpet when they get board. Also, I have cat toys and two of those cloth/paper tubes layingaround all of the time. Kind of like kids neet to be entertained.
I have both him and his sister, they run around all the time, usually when I am trying to teach online and need quiet, and have plenty of toys, so I don't suspect that's it. When the vet wanted them on a diet and I was using a laser pointer with them, that didn't seem to make a difference either.

juliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

That's why I'm here looking for some sort of behavioral solution. I wouldn't give him away but Im getting to the point where I'm constantly pissed at him for doing this and I'm just stuck. I'm not threatening to put him in a shelter, but I'm sick of this crap, and I want the behavior to change rather than trying to spend the rest of my life having to pin him down to glue something on his feet every few days. I know that I can want all day and it doesn't change, but I'm definitely feeling less love for the cat every time I find a new pile of loose carpet shreds that increase the liklihood I'm going ot get charged hundreds of dollars on moving out.

Originally Posted by Feralvr

Have you tried those corrugated cardboard floor box scratchers? They are cheap and most cats just love those. Some cats just like to scratch on the floor and the cardboard scratchers solve that problem. It is worth a try. And if your cat prefers that, I would get a few of them. All of my cats love to run around from one to the other to scratch. They even like to lay on them.
Yes, as I think I've mentioned a couple times I have them and the other cat uses it a ton and he has no interest in it. I have tried pretty much every "make something else available" alternative suggested by everyone; every material; horizontal, vertical; catnip, no-scratch spray, squirting with water, yelling "no" - nothing has been doing anything. If "just live with your cat destroying your carpet" is one of two answers, along with what I suspect is an impractical solution for me to be able to blue things on him, then I just get to suck it up and be angry and frustrated for the rest of his life and be held hostage by a cat who is very sweet but won't stop this crap.

juliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by juliel

I have both him and his sister, they run around all the time, usually when I am trying to teach online and need quiet, and have plenty of toys, so I don't suspect that's it. When the vet wanted them on a diet and I was using a laser pointer with them, that didn't seem to make a difference either.
And, I tolerate this behavior, as annoying as it is, because i get that it's a cat being a cat and I can't imagine there's any way to "make them be quiet" because I want them to. But it's also not actually destructive, just annoying.

The only real suggestion that anyone has put forth that I haven't tried is this glue on thing, and I just don't see that being feasible as I don't have someone to help me do this and I know how well other efforts to perform procedures go. I wouldn't be frustrated by the other suggestions if they weren't things I'd already tried, and many of them suggestions of things I've already said I had tried, so I feel like I just keep saying over and over again "I've already gotten them a flat cardboard scratcher and he doesn't like it." If it were that easy, I'd have already found that answer on the internet. But I am flummoxed as to why nobody else seems to have this problem in anything I can google; it's always just people who haven't thought that getting a scratching post might be the answer or people whose cats are scratching one particular piece of furniture. If it were that, it'd be easy for me to apply some sort of spot thing - the double sided tape, whatever. I've given a lot of thought and research to trying to solve this and the reason I haven't done the sticky claw things yet is that I just dont' see that being a feasible option.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes, as I think I've mentioned a couple times I have them and the other cat uses it a ton and he has no interest in it. I have tried pretty much every "make something else available" alternative suggested by everyone; every material; horizontal, vertical; catnip, no-scratch spray, squirting with water, yelling "no" - nothing has been doing anything. If "just live with your cat destroying your carpet" is one of two answers, along with what I suspect is an impractical solution for me to be able to blue things on him, then I just get to suck it up and be angry and frustrated for the rest of his life and be held hostage by a cat who is very sweet but won't stop this crap.
Oops, sorry, must have missed your post about the cardboard.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's why I'm here looking for some sort of behavioral solution. I wouldn't give him away but Im getting to the point where I'm constantly pissed at him for doing this and I'm just stuck. I'm not threatening to put him in a shelter, but I'm sick of this crap, and I want the behavior to change rather than trying to spend the rest of my life having to pin him down to glue something on his feet every few days. I know that I can want all day and it doesn't change, but I'm definitely feeling less love for the cat every time I find a new pile of loose carpet shreds that increase the liklihood I'm going ot get charged hundreds of dollars on moving out.
And I would feel the exact same way. I don't rent, but I work very hard to have nice things, and that would definitely stress any relationship. Unfortunately, from my experience you have taken just about every swing I have ever heard recommended for a behavioral/redirection solution considering the target is carpet.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have one of those cardboard scratchers. The other cat uses it, the problem one doesn't care one bit about it. Or about catnip.

I was really hoping someone would have a solution for this better than "deal with it" or "glue rubber on your cat's feet." I see myself ending up very angry, very scratched up, and with glue all over the place while kitty glowers at me from the other side of the room. It sure makes me understand why people declaw their cats.
This thread has gotten long and there have been so many suggestions so far. I doubt if your cat is stressed but have you tried the phermone diffusers like Feliway? Might settle the meezer down a bit and help alleviate the carpet clawing. I don't know about your cat but mine tend to claw in the same spots most of the time. You might also get one of those cheap carpet sample things and try to redirect the scratching to that. I'm not sure about that one; might encourage the carpet scratching even more but maybe someone really good at cat behavior can help with that.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't seem like there is a feasible solution to your problem. From what I read, you have tried the Feliway spray, pieces of carpet, cat scratch posts. You don't want to try the Soft Paws. At this point, your options are few. Rehoming to a person with hardwood or vinyl floors could work. Also putting the cat outside. Don't get me wrong. Cats are safer inside, but that is not always possible. My cats live outside within a fenced in area with a cat fence in system in place around the top of the fence to keep them in and help keep other critters out. Is it possible for you to provide a safe place outside for the cat. I am so sorry you are going through this and especially for your cat. I am sure your cat is feeling your stress and that could be making the problem worse. Right now, I would say your cat has a miserable home life.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
my only suggestion is to get a LARGE piece of carpet and cover every section you already have. (floor to floor on top of existing floor to floor). get something cheap. at least this way the cat would be destroying your property, not the apartment's, and hopefully eventually your cat would grow out of it and you can remove this piece.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check the vets and groomers in your area. Some will apply the claw caps inexpensively for you. Once you get the claw caps on you can at least rest easy that the carpet will be ok. Then, you may be able to revisit some of the suggested solutions over time and see if they work as he ages.

furrychaos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Multiple people, including myself, have suggested a scratching post with carpet on it. That appears to be the one thing you have not yet tried. Please give it a shot. It fixed EVERYTHING for me.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do they actually play with the toys though, or are the cats laying around all the time? If so, then boredom is the biggest culprit.

Also, I'm really sorry that people are suggesting the same things over and over to you, it's almost annoying me as much as it is you, I'm sure.

juliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by NutroMike

This thread has gotten long and there have been so many suggestions so far. I doubt if your cat is stressed but have you tried the phermone diffusers like Feliway? Might settle the meezer down a bit and help alleviate the carpet clawing. I don't know about your cat but mine tend to claw in the same spots most of the time. You might also get one of those cheap carpet sample things and try to redirect the scratching to that. I'm not sure about that one; might encourage the carpet scratching even more but maybe someone really good at cat behavior can help with that.
Not sure what a meezer is but I've tried the carpet sample and that didn't help. I don't think he's stressed; I think it's just something he does playing.

juliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

It doesn't seem like there is a feasible solution to your problem. From what I read, you have tried the Feliway spray, pieces of carpet, cat scratch posts. You don't want to try the Soft Paws. At this point, your options are few. Rehoming to a person with hardwood or vinyl floors could work. Also putting the cat outside. Don't get me wrong. Cats are safer inside, but that is not always possible. My cats live outside within a fenced in area with a cat fence in system in place around the top of the fence to keep them in and help keep other critters out. Is it possible for you to provide a safe place outside for the cat. I am so sorry you are going through this and especially for your cat. I am sure your cat is feeling your stress and that could be making the problem worse. Right now, I would say your cat has a miserable home life.
Outside is not an option. I live in an apartment; if I had a place that I had the ability to put in a fence etc I would have gotten rid of the carpet.
He doesn't have a miserable home life; I don't think it bothers him one whit that he is going to end up costing me plenty of money. And I generally DONT react the way I want to when he does it, because I am not an awful person. I only picture doing terrible things in my head, then bear the angst myself.

juliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Draco

my only suggestion is to get a LARGE piece of carpet and cover every section you already have. (floor to floor on top of existing floor to floor). get something cheap. at least this way the cat would be destroying your property, not the apartment's, and hopefully eventually your cat would grow out of it and you can remove this piece.
I don't think buying 700 square feet of carpet is a very realistic option for me. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be negative, but I just can't do that. And, since he's about 6 already I don't see the "outgrowing" being very likely until he is so old he becomes infirm.

juliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by FurryChaos

Multiple people, including myself, have suggested a scratching post with carpet on it. That appears to be the one thing you have not yet tried. Please give it a shot. It fixed EVERYTHING for me.
He has this too. I am pretty sure he is much more of a horizontal scratcher than a vertical scratcher. To follow up on some other things - I bought the Soft Paws, and there is no way in H I am going to be able to get him to sit still long enough to get them on him. He's already lost two when I tried to see how still he would sit, and I don't have anyone who will help me do this.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you contacted your vet or local groomers? Many will put the Soft Paws on for you for a small fee. I think they charge about $10 in my area.