Cat scratching at bathroom door

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I've seen a lot of "scratching at the door" posts, mine might be slightly different so I decided to post. I already have the cat in the bedroom with me: she is a 12 year old foster/hospice cat. She's only been with us less than a week, so everything she does is new to us.

She stays in our bedroom for now so she can destress, and because she has a URI that I don't want her to pass to my other resident cats. So the first couple of days, she mostly slept. Now that she is feeling better and getting a little more "spunky", some habits are emerging that I'd like to re-direct, and scratching at the bathroom door is one of them. Last night she started scratching that door at 4:30am. I tried to ignore it but it got loud and I didn't want it to wake up my kids, so I actually let her in to the bathroom (I know, probably my first mistake). After a few minutes, I led her out and tried to go back to sleep, but she started scratching again. This time, I put stuff in the way to block her (some shoes and a pillow). That didn't deter her much. The next couple of hours followed this pattern - she would scratch at the door, I would either try to ignore or deter her in some way (including feeding, etc). but no luck.

So why does she want in the bathroom? Good question! There's really nothing in there: the only reason I can think of is that sometimes I use that bathroom to clean her food bowl so she thinks it's the precursor to food? But then, I fed her during this "ordeal" last night and she still scratched.

Obviously, I have 2 ways I could go: leave the bathroom door open (which comes with it's own set of challenges, it definitely isn't cat proofed in there), or get her to stop: and that's what I would need suggestions for, how to get her to stop. Thoughts?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for rescuing a 12 yr. old foster/hospice kitty. I'm a little confused, is the bathroom in your bedroom? If so, I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 to cat proof and leave it open. :agree: Since she has a URI and, in addition, has only been with you less than a week it may take some time to understand her habits. Please be patient. I know 4:30 a.m. is not the ideal time you want to wake up but she may be trying to get your attention by scratching the door. Do you play or interact with her before bedtime?

Here is an Article that discusses some of the reasons she may be waking you up and helpful advice:
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan) – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would just leave the door open. It’s not likely that she will go wild or get into much in there and it maybe once she had explored it to her satisfaction she will lose interest in that room.
Yep, that's what I was thinking. I'm going to work today on cleaning it up a bit (just random hair and face products) and leave it open tonight. Thanks!

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for rescuing a 12 yr. old foster/hospice kitty. I'm a little confused, is the bathroom in your bedroom? If so, I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 to cat proof and leave it open. :agree: Since she has a URI and, in addition, has only been with you less than a week it may take some time to understand her habits. Please be patient. I know 4:30 a.m. is not the ideal time you want to wake up but she may be trying to get your attention by scratching the door. Do you play or interact with her before bedtime?

Here is an Article that discusses some of the reasons she may be waking you up and helpful advice:
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan) – TheCatSite Articles
Yes, the master bathroom is attached to the Master Bedroom (where she is currently living right now). We definitely interact with her as much as possible during the day, and especially at bedtime, but she's not really interested in toys or playing (at least yet, we will keep trying). Agreed that it's just too early to tell what her habits are, etc., seeing as it's only been less than a week. And I will definitely be patient and find something that works for us - I actually was able to go back to sleep, so that's also a plus, lol. I will cat proof it today, leave it open tonight, and see what happens.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you will be able to cat proof the bathroom today and leave it open. I hope that helps. Did you decide on a name for her? Please keep us updated on your progress, good luck! :goodluck:

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I left the door open that night (and every night since) and there have been no troubles!