Cat Scabs

RexTown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. I’m hoping for some advice with my Cornish Rex cat. She has a skin problem that’s gotten worse over the past few months.
We’ve taken her to the vet twice with no solution.

On the first visit we were given flea medicine. My cats are indoor cats so I was pretty sure that wasn’t the issue but we tried anyway with no success.

The more recent visit involved a skin sample to look for mites and fungal infection both showing negative results.

What we’re doing now is using a spray for hot spots and a cat shirt. She always seems to get out of the shirts and licks/bites the scabs off. I’m at a loss here. 20D9B56E-5790-4B5A-B537-F22920030682.jpeg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A veterinary dermatologist may be more helpful than your regular vet.

TCS has an article about skin issues: Skin Conditions In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Is your cat scratching at the skin?

What brand of food are you feeding? Food allergies / sensitivites can cause skin issues in cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RexTown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A veterinary dermatologist may be more helpful than your regular vet.

TCS has an article about skin issues: Skin Conditions In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Is your cat scratching at the skin?

What brand of food are you feeding? Food allergies / sensitivites can cause skin issues in cats.
Thank you!
She bites and licks the areas. I’m guessing it is because they itch. We feed our cats N&D (Natural and Delicious) dry food and Weruva wet food.
I found a vet dermatologist online and intend to call tomorrow.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you had any allergy testing done? Food allergies are common and usually take some trial and error to figure out. There are a lot of other things out there that can cause problems. I had one cat who didn't respond to changing her food so I had blood tests done. It turned out she wasn't allergic to any food but she was allergic to grasses, trees, shrubs, and several kinds of mites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RexTown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you had any allergy testing done? Food allergies are common and usually take some trial and error to figure out. There are a lot of other things out there that can cause problems. I had one cat who didn't respond to changing her food so I had blood tests done. It turned out she wasn't allergic to any food but she was allergic to grasses, trees, shrubs, and several kinds of mites.
We have not seen an allergist but that’s our next move. Being an indoor cat she’s not directly in contact with outdoor factors. We’re thinking it must be a food allergy as all other tests have come back negative. It’s just terrible with all the sores.