Cat Sanctuaries?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have one or have experience with them? Would you feel safe turning your semi-ferals over to one? Did you worry about outside cats being killed by wild animals there?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depends on which type of sanctuary you are talking about, but in general I think it would be better then leaving them outside of the sanctuary. The ones where the cats are basically free range outside within a fenced in area and have a designated feeding time/place is probably what you are referring to. While there would be a danger of predators, most fences that will keep a cat in would also keep out any larger predators. You can't keep out birds of prey but most cats are too big for birds of prey to go after when their are easier prey around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am speaking with a lady who has a sanctuary that has a fence around it. She says there are wild animals there. I don't know if it's the kind of fence that keeps cats in. It's not close, so I can't visit it and check it out.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes we have to make "good enough" decisions. If the cats will be warm, well-fed, and provided with vet care, but there's a small chance of a predator getting them, that's probably better than most situations they could be in.

Short answer: for ferals and cats raised outdoors I'd be OK with it but not for housepets.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, if it's a good place. Not all of them are good though, I have heard.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our shelter has what is legally seen as a sanctuary (for unadoptable ferals that couldn't be released after neutering, primarily due to construction). There are around 25 of them on a quarter of an acre, fenced-in lot. The high (3-meter) fence is electrified, slanted inwards at the top and supposedly cat-proof, but that's not 100% true; there have been a few (3 -4) escapees plus some cats who've climbed the fence and gone into the enclosure. We haven't lost any cats to predators, nor found any wild animals in there other than rodents, birds, and hedgehogs; most of the rodents and birds have been dead and half-eaten. There are loads of foxes and birds of prey, but no coyotes, wolves or the like around here.

Other than an enclosure, does that sanctuary have shelter for the cats? Ours has two cabins, a partially open shed, several insulated box-type shelters, and constant access to a heated feeding/sleeping room in the main building. About half the cats use the latter.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds very good. This person does not have shelter for the cats. But she said she is going to build an enclosure. She sounds like maybe somebody who just decided to have a sanctuary without experience. But as long as she is a good person and takes good care of the cats, that is what matters. It would be for some of my TNR cats who are not feral, but not tame enough to be adoptable and are not safe where they are (cats are being killed off by bad people).