Cat safe essential oils?

kaldrina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

So I know that most essential oils are not safe to use around cats but I'm looking for a list of ones that are.

I found one website that said that Cedarwood Lemongrass Peppermint Rosemary are all safer options but i was wondering if there were any others?

I would only be using them in a cold diffuser in the open area of my house because I don't use any artificial air fresheners anymore but I really miss them.

http://essentialoilworld.com/essentialoilreviews/essential-oil-safety-with-cats/

any advise or suggestions would be really appreciated

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that pets and essential oil use can be pretty controversial as well as quite unknown.  I too do not like using synthetic air fresheners of any kind.  Yet that said, using essential oils incorrectly can do more harm than good and potentially even lead to illness or death. 

I would not trust the internet for using essential oils in my home with cats.  Instead I would find an expert in the field of aromatherapy and pets.  They can be used safely, but the key is to be sure  you are using quality oils that are not "cut" with inferior product. 

I do know it is very dangerous to use any citrus based essential oils around cats. 

Hydrosols might be a safer alternative. 

In my house I choose not to use essential oils around the cats.  My cats are curious.  If I was not watching closely they would be sniffing around the diffuser in no time.  I just decided it's not worth the unknown.