Cat Repellent Question

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dogs need to be trained consistently by people for some time to use radio fencing and many of them don't succeed in working (neither the fence nor the dogs' behaviour instincts) and the dogs often just jump over/through them anyway. Imagine trying to train a cat the same way ... won't work! If it did, I don't think there'd be so many strays, run-over cats, lost cats, etc. etc.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The radio fences work to keep a dog inside the borders, it does not keep other dogs or other predators out of the area. To keep this cat safe, you need to keep it inside. Not to do that, you have to realize that you can lose the cat in a heart-beat. If you are willing to do that, then by all means let your cat outside. Just don't expect it to be a dog and stay within sight of you. That isn't how cats are programmed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sshapkido

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I realize that even keeping the cat on my own property is not absolutely safe. But I also know that no stray dog comes into my yard without my own dogs barking like mad. They generally keep other animals at bay. My back yard is fenced with my dogs in it. I don't think I've ever seen another animal in the yard with them except Moe Kitty, other than frogs, birds, and such. The dogs were fine with Moe Kitty, but wild animals don't venture in. The front yard is smaller and wide open. A rabbit is the ony wild animal I've ever seen in it. So while it will not be absolutely secure, I believe the cat will be generally very safe if it stays on my property.

Thanks for the advice on the radio fencing.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I'm thinking that if you're willing to spend the money for an electronic fence, why not spend it for a kittywalk? Then you know for sure your cat is safe and contained AND enjoying the outdoors.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 15 yr old torty, Coco, is an indoor outdoor puss. She sleeps on my mum's back verandah. When she lived with us she slept in the laundry. If I were you I'd get some sort of kitty walk as mentioned by coaster. A lot of breeders here use them, with a cat flap to access the house.
Most Aussie burb cats i've ever known live in/out.
My kitten Blossom is totally indoor, one reason being 1/2 her nose is pink & I don't want her to get sun cancer.