Cat Regurgitating Food

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello All, I've been searching the forum on this topic before posting and have read up on it quite a bit. I adopted a kitty about 2 months ago and since I've had him he's been having a problem with regurgitating his food. When I first brought him home it was really bad, about 2 times every single day along with alot of coughing (sounded like a goose honking). Since I made some changes the coughing has almost completely stopped and the regurgitating is down to about 2-3 times per week. I still think this is excessive but definitely an improvement over every day. I've had my boy to the vet and we did determine that he is regurgitating and not vomiting. It happens immediately after he eats (so is undigested), or sometimes I would get up in the morning and actually see it inside of his food dish or right next to the dish.

I am currently trying all the things that have been suggested here as well as by my vet - raised food dish, mostly wet food only, feeding small portions throughout the day. I have noticed that he does much better with wet food then the dry. I have since pulled the dry food up from free feeding to rationing it out in tiny portions if at all. All of this has helped greatly. I'm still in the trial and error phase with this trying to determine what the issue is. My vet did do an X-ray of the esophagus and everything looks normal. We decided to do watchful waiting for a while with the changes I've made and she suggested if there is not improvement to try a motility drug. Has anyone heard of this or have any experience with it?

This definitely hasn't slowed him down at all. His litter box habits are normal and he runs and plays all the time. He is a happy guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a great bowl! He doesn't seem to gulp his food. I'll need to start watching him more closely on that though. Right now he's on strictly wet food. The vomiting was much worse when he was eating dry also. I do ration out the kibble every now and again, but a very small amount (like 10-20 small kibbles and that's it). The small portions throughout the day have helped, but that can be a challenge on days I go into work. I am also trying to make sure he is getting enough calories. He loves treats but I have to ration those out also. He get one or two at a time.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They can test us cant they. You could try spreading the wet food over a big plate so it is not in one place. Please let us know how he is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They can test us cant they. You could try spreading the wet food over a big plate so it is not in one place. Please let us know how he is doing.
That is a great idea and I actually just started doing that this morning. Cats are a complicated business :)