Cat Regression

Himmelgott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
So I am posting this on behalf of a friend.
My friend has a cat that she got as a kitten. Both her and I have been around the cat quite a bit, but both of us had to move for work. Just recently she has gotten the cat back and it seems to have regressed to being feral again. It growls and hisses at me and refuses to come out if I am around. She is not noticing any problem if it is just her and the cat. But anytime I am over it's tail floofs out and it starts being very agressive. We both suspect the person the cat had been left had ignored her quite a bit, but can't prove anything there.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the cat was originally feral it may not have bonded with the person she was left with. Its fairly common for truly feral cats to really only bond with the person who socializes them or humans they are introduced to in that time period. Her poofing and hissing could be acting out to prove her place in the world with you. Try becoming the one who is associated with the good things, feed her, play with her, sit quietly near her. Over time she should start to relax and realize the world is okay again.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The cat may be feeling a bit rejected as well. And they aren't always totally rational when they pick the object of their displeasure. Kieka Kieka is right, try feeding the cat regularly. In the end, the food and the bringer-of-food are both associated with very good things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Himmelgott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ja. I have tried feed the cat but got scratched and bit. She is the only person that cat is cool around.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try just setting the food down and walking away. You don't want to appear to be pushing yourself on the cat at all. They are such complex little personalities.