Cat Refuses To Use Litter Box!!

Chrishickie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So first off I want to introduce myself! My name is Chris and I have a cat who I adopted in June of 2015 and her name is Lucy and Lucy is probably 3 years old at this point. Since I've had her for the last two plus years, Lucy refuses to use the litter box when she pees. I have probably tried 15 different litters, five different places for the litter box in the house, covered litter boxes, uncovered litter boxes literally everything that could be changed about the litter box has been changed. She will poop in the litter box but she absolutely refuses to pee in the litter box and I'm just looking for some form of Direction on how to get this fixed. Obviously we introduce the litter box to her and probably for the first 6 months every time that we saw she peed in the floor because she pees directly in front of the litter box, we would bring her in there and sure where it is and spank her a little and reintroduce her to the litter box hoping that that would lead herr to the litter box. Well absolutely none of this has worked and I am at my wits end. I want to thank each and everyone of you in advance if somebody can give me some guidance on how to fix this problem because it would be much much appreciated. Just because I can I put a picture of Lucy in the post and hopefully I can hear something back from you all. Have a great day!

Attachments

EKA482

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. Only suggestion I have is a lid off a large plastic container like off a ply-sue box. Put litter on that and see if she will use that since she doesn’t have to climb in the box. Then treats for good behaviour rather than punishment.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Is she not wanting to pee in the box due to it hurting as she's going? which is to say, has she been to the vet recently for a thorough health checkup? Bless your heart for trying so hard to pin down the problem - that's a lot of litter and boxes to go through. She looks an absolute sweetheart. Hang in there!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This happens to my cats when they eat too much dry food and not enough canned food. Are you feeding a lot of dry food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chrishickie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This happens to my cats when they eat too much dry food and not enough canned food. Are you feeding a lot of dry food?
Yet again tried and tried and tried to get her onto a combo diet of wet food and dry food and all she ever eats is dry food. Won't even eat cat treats so there is no way to positively reinforce if she ever did use the litter box.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, this happens to my cats too, because there just isn't enough moisture in the dry food. Then their pee gets too concentrated and it burns coming out, so they avoid the litterbox. What brands of canned food have you tried? Maybe we can think of something that she would like.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - has she been to the vet recently? Have you tried different brands of wet food, and also toppers like sardines, tuna, tuna juice, kitten food, kitten replacement milk powder or liquid as an add-in, bonita flakes, heating the wet food slightly, parmeson or shredded cheddar cheese, fortiflora?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, and also to help with cleanup in the meantime, if you haven't already you could try some puppy training/pee pads.