Cat recovering from cystotomy

Skeffington

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

My beautiful cat scout is recovering from cystotomy surgery about 7 days ago. He was doing well at first but after a few days he had a major fear response to his cone, throwing himself against the wall until we took it off. When we tried to put it back on he had several asthma attacks until we backed off he has asthma but is under control with his inhaler.

We tried a soft cone but same result.

We tried no collar for some time but I had to watch him all night because he is a bit of a compulsive groomer/licker.

We cut up a t shirt today for him. I'm wondering if this could be too tight causing his incision to not be able to breathe. I've also been monitoring his incision and noticed some slight discharge and swelling. I tried calling his vet but he had to go to the emergency vet so the regular vet won't really talk to me about it and the emergency vet is naturally very busy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am by no means experienced with this, but I think the incision pic looks good. Is the swelling new? What kind of discharge?
Can you loosen the shirt you made him just a bit? Also, sorry to hear your vet is not being helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skeffington

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate the reply! The swelling isn't new, the discharge is dried yellow but looks like a little more than it was the other day. Not 100% sure. I may try to loosen the shirt again or just take it off and watch him since he is having a tough time with it. I want to see if he can use his litter with it. I only put it on about an hour ago.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the discharge is dried yellow but looks like a little more than it was the other day.
A very pale yellow is probably OK, if it is clear in color. It is discharge that is opaque (aka pus-like) that would be more worrisome. A cut up tube sock, or even a cut up leg from hosiery might work, just around the mid-section which would not prevent him from using the litter box.

How long did the vet tell you to keep the cone on? Is he due for a follow up appt? I would hope so!

Skeffington

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet wanted it on for 14 days. We want a follow up appointment. The vet said no recheck necessary unless we have concerns. I am thinking of calling his regular vet to try to get him in for a check up. They buried his sutures, so there are no stitches to remove. He is a difficult patient, so I get it. I would feel so much better if the vet told us to bring him in.

The discharge is somewhat opaque, so I'm guessing i should definitely get him an appointment for that.

He did just use the litterbox with his shirt on so that is encouraging at least

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If for no other reason than peace of mind, get the follow up appt. If he is drinking/eating/using the litter box OK, those are all good signs. But, I don't blame you for wanting to get it checked out - just in case!!!

Skeffington

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is doing everything but drinking water we switched him to wet food though and I have been mixing in water with each feeding, so maybe thats enough! Yeah we really need peace of mind over here!