Cat recently started scooting.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the past 2 days marla has been scooting on my carpet, I know this probably isn't normal behavior. She's been eating drinking and going to her litter box like normal. I would take her to the vet clinic sooner but i have to wait for my money to show up on my debit card at the near end of the month. I need some kind reassuring words.😞😢😷

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
For the past 2 days marla has been scooting on my carpet, I know this probably isn't normal behavior. She's been eating drinking and going to her litter box like normal. I would take her to the vet clinic sooner but i have to wait for my money to show up on my debit card at the near end of the month. I need some kind reassuring words.😞😢😷

Scooting across your floor is an indication that marla has worms.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she was a dog I'd say she needs her anal glands expressed. Timothy's bloodwork estimate indicated a 'complimentary anal gland expression' so apparently cats have them too. Is there any smell after she scoots? You can express them at home, but to be honest I couldn't give you advice. But there are videos on YouTube of how to do it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Does Marla go outside? Are there other cats in your house, and if so, are they having any issues? Both worms or anal gland issues, as noted above, could be the source of the behavior. Is her poop normal? If it is soft, sometimes, 'debris' is left behind on their bottoms and they will scoot to clean it off. Soft poop can also prevent the anal glands from expressing naturally - other cats just sometimes develop anal gland issues for no identifiable reason.

Check her poop and see if the consistency is normal, and also look for worms in it. You can place the poo in a plastic bag and 'squish' it around to see if you see any worms. The anal glands are on each side of the anus at the 5 & 7 positions of the face of a clock. It should be kind of hard to see them without really looking closely unless they are beginning to become clogged. And, also as mentioned above, the secretions from those glands can be quite smelly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No she's a strictly inside cat. Ok I'll go check her poop right now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Clean up her booty and check out her behind for the next couple of days, especially after she uses the litter box, and see how it goes. You may have just found the problem!

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She hasn't gone to the litter box since a couple of days ago but i just wiped her anus with these pet wipes i have. Just have to wait and see when she goes to the litter box. What can i do for her in the meantime?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Despite the fact you said she hasn't gone to the litter box since a couple of days ago, you did say she was using the litter box like normal, yes? That being the case, and she is still eating/drinking/peeing/pooping fine, there is not much you can do other than watch her poo and for any other signs that would make her seem 'off' to you. It sounds like she is doing OK. I wouldn't be concerned until you see issues with her next poop, or more scooting, or other changes in her behavior.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like anal gland issues. Take her to the vet when your money comes in and gets those suckers expressed. Trust me you don't want to do it yourself.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like anal gland issues. Take her to the vet when your money comes in and gets those suckers expressed. Trust me you don't want to do it yourself.
I will as soon as i can.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Despite the fact you said she hasn't gone to the litter box since a couple of days ago, you did say she was using the litter box like normal, yes? That being the case, and she is still eating/drinking/peeing/pooping fine, there is not much you can do other than watch her poo and for any other signs that would make her seem 'off' to you. It sounds like she is doing OK. I wouldn't be concerned until you see issues with her next poop, or more scooting, or other changes in her behavior.
Alright thanks. She did go pee today she just hasn't gone to poop yet.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just bought some pumpkin puree and i fed some to marla, just waiting for her next bowel movement.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, you think she is constipated? Have you used pumpkin with her before? Hopefully it will work!
I'm not sure but i did see a little poop in the litterbox, but i don't know when she pooped last. As far as i know she hasn't scooted on the carpet. No this is my first time using pumpkin.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure but i did see a little poop in the litterbox, but i don't know when she pooped last. As far as i know she hasn't scooted on the carpet. No this is my first time using pumpkin.
It might be a good idea to clean out whatever is in the box now, so you have a better idea of what might be going on the next time she does go. The only reason I asked about the pumpkin is because - for whatever reason - it is used for both diarrhea and constipation. But, a serving or two shouldn't be a big deal. Good to hear no more scooting - at least so far!!

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It might be a good idea to clean out whatever is in the box now, so you have a better idea of what might be going on the next time she does go. The only reason I asked about the pumpkin is because - for whatever reason - it is used for both diarrhea and constipation. But, a serving or two shouldn't be a big deal. Good to hear no more scooting - at least so far!!
So i called my vet clinic i always take her to and the receptionist said i should feed her wet food instead of dry food. I'll let you know how it goes.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just fed her some more pumpkin puree, unfortunately i don't think she can wait until the 27th to see the vet she hasn't pooped in 2 days I'm so upset that i could have possibly gotten her sick i feel like crying.😭 Really worried.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
goes.
[/QUOTE]
I just fed her some more pumpkin puree, unfortunately i don't think she can wait until the 27th to see the vet she hasn't pooped in 2 days I'm so upset that i could have possibly gotten her sick i feel like crying.😭 Really worried.

Call your vet, ( pass go at the receptionist) and get her in earlier. Explain to them that she had not defecated in two days and also about the pumpkin.

I do not believe that you hurt her, but I have been thinking that she needs to see a vet ever since you started this thread.

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Call your vet, ( pass go at the receptionist) and get her in earlier. Explain to them that she had not defecated in two days and also about the pumpkin.

I do not believe that you hurt her, but I have been thinking that she needs to see a vet ever since you started this thread.
[/QUOTE]
I'll try today but I'm not sure if they will see her because i have to pay for the exam and my money on my debit card has not come in yet. Wish me luck.