Cat Quirks

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ever since Link was a kitten he's been an odd boy. Now, as an almost four year old he still hasn't outgrown his quirkiness.

He has the fairly normal sitting weird one,
IMG_20171215_192945.jpg

But the other day I think he topped himself. He has a Beastie Band collar. I didn't trim the end of it when I first put it on. Partially wanting to make sure it fit right before trimming and partially he got annoyed and I didn't want to bring scissors close to squirming cat. You can see the extra just behind his head in this photo,

IMG_20180128_104315.jpg

So the other day, I startled him in the garden. He was mindlessly watching the yard while sucking on the end of his collar. Totally zoned out, collar end in mouth, not chewing, not tugging, just relaxed. I have since checked it daily and it is almost always gobbered on. I have also checked for tears, holes or damage and other then some discoloration it is fine.

I am not surprised, he loves his stuffed toys. As a kitten her took a small toy with him nearly everywhere until I (evil human) washed it because it was nearly black with dirt.

Anyone else have a cat with some strange habits?

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Parker is a real character cat with many cute and funny quirks. But for the sake of balance, I thought I'd shame him with one of his more minging traits (although he's utterly shameless!). He LOVES litter, be that to roll around in on the floor; swim gleefully in the tray; sit in the tray for no apparent reason just chilling; rush underneath pouring litter to get utterly coated; inspect all Dudley's litter activity and get in after him to make sure he's covered sufficiently; and to top it off he actually gets in the tray with long-suffering Dudley whilst he's trying to do his business!

One of Parker's nicknames is "Sparkles" because he's often covered in glitter (from nosing into my crafting), and last night, whilst watching him playing in the litter, we laughed at the thought of his g-littering himself.

:dizzycat:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I mentioned in another thread and it works here, that my Big Guy LOVES the carpet dents left behind after heavy furniture has been moved. They are like catnip for him and he scratches away like he's mining for gold LOL

Benjamin Franklin (Benji)

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Benji loves getting into bags of any sort, whether it be backpacks or shopping bags. He sleeps there literally for more than an hour and when he wakes up he stays inside the open bag. It’s really hard to get him out, and he doesn’t like to be moved out of his favourite spot! Benji has a super soft spot for cloth bags but he loves all sorts of bags.

He also seems to strike a pose when I turn the camera on him and he sees it, which is really odd.

coffeechick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got weird, and if anyone could actually explain the weird, that would be really cool.

Morti deliberately soaks her tail in the bath. She sits on the edge of the tub, with her tail in the water--as much as she can possibly get submerged without really stretching or hanging her actual butt into the water.

We've tried to pull the tail out. We've tried to block the tail from going in. Initially, I thought maybe she was just being a bit dim, and forgetting that she even had a tail, but...she's not forgetting. It's intentional, and she just...seems okay with it. Like things aren't quite right about the bath until her tail is in the water.

It's only the bath, though. She doesn't dip her tail in the water dish.

Her tail is straight and normal, and not apparently painful. She'll let me pet it--actually, she'll let me gently squeeze it in an attempt to count the vertebrae, so I don't think she's seeking the heat to soothe any pain. It may just be one more Morti quirk.

She and her sister are both incredibly odd already, so one more quirk is to be expected. They fetch. El is utterly obsessed with the caps that come off those cheap, store-brand water bottles. They sing creepy little begging duets for their wet food. Morti calls me into the bathroom to climb into the [dry] tub with her for somersaults and purring.

They're just little walking bags of quirks already. The tail thing is just really hard to find a reason for.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rocky, a 9yr old female, head butts your legs like mad when hungry. I think that part is more or less normal-ish. But she also licks your feet, whether you are barefoot or wearing shoes and socks. I find it super weird, and make great efforts to dance-move around her to avoid it.

Unfortunately, she has gained a half a pound, and the wife wants efforts made. So...more dancing :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow has a strange, strange litterbox quirk. I have always had two litterboxes for one cat. But she will only go in one litterbox. Not any particular box but if presented with two identical clean filled boxes, she will choose one and only use that box no matter dirty and full it gets. The other box will right next to it and will never be used. When her box has been cleaned, she may then choose the other box and use only that one. After a year of trying everything, including leaving one box unscooped for several weeks, transferring poop from one box to the second, moving boxes, switching box locations etc I finally gave up and now she just has one litter box. It’s odd but she is happy and I only have one box to take care of.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Noodles has a thing for carrots. Like bagged carrots from the grocery store. This afternoon DH was setting the bags on the kitchen floor while I put the perishables away first. Noodles was nosing through; checking stuff out. It took me 3 tries to get the carrots away from her! She kept swiping at me!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Noodles has a thing for carrots. Like bagged carrots from the grocery store. This afternoon DH was setting the bags on the kitchen floor while I put the perishables away first. Noodles was nosing through; checking stuff out. It took me 3 tries to get the carrots away from her! She kept swiping at me!
I had a cat once who loved to steal potatoes and then she would knock them around the floor. Only thing was that she would eventually take a bite out, and get sick every time.

ManekiNekko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Max likes having humans follow him around the house on their hands and knees. He'll walk a few steps, stop, turn around for some forehead bunting with the human, and repeat (for as long as we can stand it), purring all the while.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every morning when I take a shower Sam will sit on the toilet and wait. Then while I am toweling off, he has to jump up on the sink so I lean over and give him kisses. He then will start talking to me non stop until I leave the bathroom. Nothing will deter him from this ritual. My partner has tried to lure him out with treats that he usually loves, but he will not leave that bathroom without me. It is odd, but also endearing.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
All of you with 'bathroom' cats, it's quite common for cats to love bathroom activity, and follow you in every time you're in there for whatever reason to supervise. Sitting on laps whilst peeing, fishing in the toothpaste tap flow, avidly watching the loo flush whirlpool, teetering on the rim of baths whilst you're in them, playing in the empty bath, sitting in the puddles, standing in the bath whilst showering but just on the very edge of the splash zone, dinking tails into warm bath water, playing peekaboo from inside the bath or around the shower curtain, etc, etc, etc...

But just because cats are known bathroom lovers doesn't lessen the quirkiness of it. I love my bathroom pals. :beerchug:

Fuzzyface

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 2 cats - both "older" kittens.
Tiger is a great all-around cat: he's a lap cat, he's mischievous, playful, gives kisses, etc.
Boots, on the other hand, is reserved and shy.

But the other day I let them into our bedroom to let them explore. Boots decided to lay down on the shower floor. It was like he decided, "finally, a favorite spot".
Really? All the places in the house and he decides to lay on the shower floor? Haha...crazy cats.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I already did one for Rocky above, but my cat Clyde has a pretty weird thing too. He likes to go with me when I go for runs. At first he would dash from house to house, bush to bush, running parallel to me but 40 feet away going from cover to cover like playing a tactical shooter. But now he runs -- well trots since I don't go fast -- close to me. Sometimes I almost trip over him. And sometimes he trots in front of me, like a pace cat. I'm so slow that he isn't running, he is fast walking lol. Very sad. Our street is very safe, but the connecting street is not, so we jog (or I jog, he trots) down the street, then I turn around, jog home, open the door, he goes in, and I continue my run without him.