Cat pulled her stitches

NymeriaPri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
We adopted our cat nymeria last week and she was spayed a day or two before that. This weekend we noticed she pulled her stitches and it being a long weekend we took her to ER. The vet there said the inner stiches looks fine and she didn't wanna re stich the outer skin as she was afraid of trapping the infection. They sent her home with antibiotics but we noticed little puss (same as before) today again and not sure if this is healing or not and should we take her back to Er :( I am so worried, this is my first pet and I'm scared so much. She has a cone now so at least she is not licking it anymore.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think the vet's advice was sound. But, I would let them know about the pus, assuming that wasn't there when she was seen by the vet. The only other thing you might ask the vet about is if there is any kind of topical ointment/solution/spray you could put on it. Since she has a cone on, that would be plausible. A topical treatment might help both in terms of any superficial bacteria and from a comfort standpoint (drying, itchiness, etc.).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't really tell in the photo...are you seeing actual pus, thick green or yellow discharge, or is this a clear or pink fluid?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NymeriaPri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't really tell in the photo...are you seeing actual pus, thick green or yellow discharge, or is this a clear or pink fluid?
It's really a little clear discharge. I called the er with this picture and they said to use half and half water plus peroxide to clean the area and wait untill tomorrow. I'm supposed to continue the antibiotics too. I will wait untill tomorrow to see if its getting better or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NymeriaPri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I think the vet's advice was sound. But, I would let them know about the pus, assuming that wasn't there when she was seen by the vet. The only other thing you might ask the vet about is if there is any kind of topical ointment/solution/spray you could put on it. Since she has a cone on, that would be plausible. A topical treatment might help both in terms of any superficial bacteria and from a comfort standpoint (drying, itchiness, etc.).
Thank you. I will ask re ointment tomorrow when I call them

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's really a little clear discharge. I called the er with this picture and they said to use half and half water plus peroxide to clean the area and wait untill tomorrow. I'm supposed to continue the antibiotics too. I will wait untill tomorrow to see if its getting better or not.
Maybe half water and half peroxide is OK, especially for just one time, but peroxide can actually harm tissue and delay healing. I hope they give you something more 'productive' for her incision.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is a thin, clear discharge, it is almost certainly serum, which is perfectly normal.