Cat proofing windows (in a rental apartment)

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's getting warmer and quite soon it's going to be summer and hot again..

I don't have an AC in my apartment (rental) so I would love to open up the windows at nights.

Any ideas on how to secure the windows without making permanent marks on them?

My landlord is very understanding and has cats himself, but I doubt he would allow mw to drill into his window frames

Does anyone use the Trixie grills from Zooplus with Tesa Powerstrips? This is my only idea so far, and to have the windows tilted open at most

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It's getting warmer and quite soon it's going to be summer and hot again..

I don't have an AC in my apartment (rental) so I would love to open up the windows at nights.

Any ideas on how to secure the windows without making permanent marks on them?

My landlord is very understanding and has cats himself, but I doubt he would allow mw to drill into his window frames

Does anyone use the Trixie grills from Zooplus with Tesa Powerstrips? This is my only idea so far, and to have the windows tilted open at most
Maybe you can ask your landlord since he has cats? For now use a fan and have water bottles for you and make sure you have numerous water bowls for your cat. If you can,feed wet for moisture since you have no ac. Hope you don't live down south!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't find much of anything applicable on this site, especially not for the kind of window you have. The one thread below suggested shelving to create a DIY cover, but based on your windows, what you have found might be your best bet - unless you want to make your own. If the window frames are metal, you could take screening and use adhesive magnetic strips glued to the screen edges so it could be secured on the sides/top/bottom of the window. There is an example of one pre-made below.

If you're handy, you could make a 3 sided 'cage' that went from the bottom of the window ledge/sill to the ceiling and secure it to the walls with Command hook strips.

Ever consider taking some pics to any local home improvement stores and asking for ideas?

Windows - Spring/Summer solutions | TheCatSite
OWYR Magnetic Window Screen Adjustable DIY Window Net Fiberglass Fine Mesh Screen Protector Fits Max 48” x 44” White Window Frames with Grey Mesh - - Amazon.com

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't find much of anything applicable on this site, especially not for the kind of window you have. The one thread below suggested shelving to create a DIY cover, but based on your windows, what you have found might be your best bet - unless you want to make your own. If the window frames are metal, you could take screening and use adhesive magnetic strips glued to the screen edges so it could be secured on the sides/top/bottom of the window. There is an example of one pre-made below.

If you're handy, you could make a 3 sided 'cage' that went from the bottom of the window ledge/sill to the ceiling and secure it to the walls with Command hook strips.

Ever consider taking some pics to any local home improvement stores and asking for ideas?

Windows - Spring/Summer solutions | TheCatSite
OWYR Magnetic Window Screen Adjustable DIY Window Net Fiberglass Fine Mesh Screen Protector Fits Max 48” x 44” White Window Frames with Grey Mesh - - Amazon.com
Thank you very much for the links.
It might be best if I get the Trixie guards drom zoohit. Ill have to make sure the glue strips are strong enough...if it were my windows, id drill them. It says it holds 2 kg max, so if there are 3 strips, thts 6 kg....thatdoesnt sound strong enough to me.. ill have to think of something more

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can ask your landlord since he has cats? For now use a fan and have water bottles for you and make sure you have numerous water bowls for your cat. If you can,feed wet for moisture since you have no ac. Hope you don't live down south!
I don't dare ask since he wouldn't allow us to paint the walls a different color (white to yellow in the kitchen), so I'm pretty sure he wouldnt allow us to drill holes in his new windows....
Thank you for caring, I always think of my kitties first ❤😊👍 she has a fountain + a bowl and i change water frequently and cleand the fountain squeaky clean and change filters regularly. And I try to get her to eat mostly wet food (has been a struggle since she mostly ate royal canin kibbles at the shelter) but shes getting used to it and likes it more and more :) biggest change happened yesterday actually- first time she ate a lot more wet food since i got her 2 weeks ago.
I live in Slovenia, Europe. It's still cold now (2 - 15°C ) but it hets up to 39°C in summer (june - august). So I have to start planning :)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't dare ask since he wouldn't allow us to paint the walls a different color (white to yellow in the kitchen), so I'm pretty sure he wouldnt allow us to drill holes in his new windows....
Thank you for caring, I always think of my kitties first ❤😊👍 she has a fountain + a bowl and i change water frequently and cleand the fountain squeaky clean and change filters regularly. And I try to get her to eat mostly wet food (has been a struggle since she mostly ate royal canin kibbles at the shelter) but shes getting used to it and likes it more and more :) biggest change happened yesterday actually- first time she ate a lot more wet food since i got her 2 weeks ago.
I live in Slovenia, Europe. It's still cold now (2 - 15°C ) but it hets up to 39°C in summer (june - august). So I have to start planning :)
It sounds like she lucked out when she found you! I'll keep thinking and if I have any ideas I'll let you know about the windows. :)