Cat proof kitchen trash?

kandymoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We went from keeping trash in a bag under the sink to a nice pedal lid trash can. They were always tearing thru the bag under the sink and now they've figured out how to get into the can by lifting the lid. They also tear up the part of the trash bag that shows on the outside of the can, so the bag just falls in & makes a mess.

Anyone know of a cat proof trash can? Or a way to cat proof one?

They are tearing into all the food cabinets now too. I think the magnetic locks might work. I've tried two other styles & they figured out how to use those. Just so you have an idea of how intelligent my cats are.

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try a pedal step trash can that also has a lock feature, like this Simple Human one. Most of the Simple Human trash cans also have a feature to keep the bag from showing on the outside. Or if there's still room under the cabinet, intall a pull out trash can. I use the small Simple Human trash can that hangs on the inside of a cabinet door. If there's a door in the kitchen to the outside or basement or garage, consider putting the trash can just outside the door if that is an option. It'll be a pain to open the door to get to the trash can (or to pull the trash can in to temporarily use like while cooking) but it'll keep the cats from getting into the trash.

There are large elastic brands that will hold a trash can in place so it doesn't fall into the can.

To keep the cats from opening cabinet doors, install child proof latches.

Are you feeding the cats enough? Sometimes cats will get into the trash and cabinets to search for food because they are hungry. Other cats do it out of boredom so offer more playtime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kandymoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That simple human can looks nice. $50 isn't too bad, but my rm refuses to pay more than ten for his half of a trash can. We only have one now cuz his daughter bougt him one for Xmas. I share a small apartment with my roommate, so not many options for trash placement.

I was planning on looking at how the no show bag feature works, but I guess a rubber band *would* do the trick.

I'm not sure if they are eating enough. I feed each cat 1/4 can of impulse in the morning & 1/3 instinct or vigor or spots stew at night. They aren't eating regularly though. I'm chronically ill and am not able to. My roommate had been helping, but is fed up with me and my cats at this point.

I'm hoping to get a small fridge in my room, so I'll be able to reach from bed and get my babies fed, but my friend just keeps not bringing it to me.

Sadly they are not getting enough play. My Grim used to fetch squinkies, but since introducing my roommates dog to our home he just eats them. My Miso used to play with string toys on the couch before my roommate began allowing his dog on my couch(against our agreement) I've laundered the cover, but it's like she can't let her guard down enough to play there anymore.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This doesn't sound like a great situation; they are likely breaking into the cabinets and trash because they're hungry. Can you get a feeder that automatically releases on a timer?

kandymoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This doesn't sound like a great situation; they are likely breaking into the cabinets and trash because they're hungry. Can you get a feeder that automatically releases on a timer?
Do they make those for wet food? We also have a major roach problem, so it'd have to be air tight. Ya know, I think hunting the roaches in the kitchen is how this behavior got started. We're clean and keep absolutely everything in our kitchen in airtight containers, but the building is old and water damaged, so there's no getting rid of them.

Just FYI I got my cats before I was disabled and had a life partner who helped for 7 years after I got sick. This is the first whole year I've been without help, so I'm still trying to figure things out.

kandymoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
googled. It looks like there are feeders. My cats can't eat out of plastic tho. And reviews of these things aren't good besides. Grim throws things around, so I don't think it'd hold up. We were never able to find a water dish he couldn't upset. I just leave the faucet dropping all the time.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they make those for wet food? We also have a major roach problem, so it'd have to be air tight. Ya know, I think hunting the roaches in the kitchen is how this behavior got started. We're clean and keep absolutely everything in our kitchen in airtight containers, but the building is old and water damaged, so there's no getting rid of them.

Just FYI I got my cats before I was disabled and had a life partner who helped for 7 years after I got sick. This is the first whole year I've been without help, so I'm still trying to figure things out.
Not blaming you at all - just wanted to help brainstorm ways to make things easier for all of you. They definitely need to be able to eat regularly. Could you get smaller cans of food that you don't need to refrigerate?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats like to get into the trash too. I got a Rubbermaid trash can that has a lever you have to press down to open the spring-loaded lid, plus it has a bag holder inside the lid so they can't shred the outside rim of the bag. It cost $20 at Walmart. I got a similar model at Menards for $12.99. . .it's not quite as nice but it has the same basic features. I found it tipped over today, still closed and no shredded bag! So it works :D.

kandymoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not blaming you at all - just wanted to help brainstorm ways to make things easier for all of you. They definitely need to be able to eat regularly. Could you get smaller cans of food that you don't need to refrigerate?
Oh, I didn't think you were.
I just have an unusual situation.

They don't come in smaller cans that i know of. Maybe I shuld just feed them each half the can so there's nothing left to refrigerate. There's been some issue with eating too fast and regurgitation with portions that large, so I haven't tried that yet.

kandymoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats like to get into the trash too. I got a Rubbermaid trash can that has a lever you have to press down to open the spring-loaded lid, plus it has a bag holder inside the lid so they can't shred the outside rim of the bag. It cost $20 at Walmart. I got a similar model at Menards for $12.99. . .it's not quite as nice but it has the same basic features. I found it tipped over today, still closed and no shredded bag! So it works :D.
They figured out how to work the old one we had, but it also didn't have a hidden bag or stay lidded when knocked over.
So, I'll be sure to look for that next time I'm at Walmart. Thanks!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I didn't think you were.
I just have an unusual situation.

They don't come in smaller cans that i know of. Maybe I shuld just feed them each half the can so there's nothing left to refrigerate. There's been some issue with eating too fast and regurgitation with portions that large, so I haven't tried that yet.
Maybe you could feed them more frequently in smaller portions?  It sounds like they are eating too fast and then throwing up because they are hungry.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will they eat dry food?  I leave dry food out all the time and feed wet food twice a day.  I don't know if roaches eat cat food.

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh. The only real beef I had with my Midnight was that she absolutely LOVED to ransack the trash can.I end up having to buy a steel trash can with a hard-to-open lid that I felt sure of that she couldn't get into. Wrong! The can had a step lever that would lift the lid and, smart pussycat that she was, she figured out how to use it! I'd come home from a 14-hour day at work and find a huge trash mess on my kitchen floor. So I put it under my kitchen sink, then went ahead and put latches on the cabinent doors that only I could open (I tested them). Midnight couldn't get them open, and boy, did she not like that! Just a thought.

kandymoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe you could feed them more frequently in smaller portions?  It sounds like they are eating too fast and then throwing up because they are hungry.
Since it's a new problem since the dog I tool it to be food guarding, eat or it might be eaten behavior.

kandymoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Problem solved. A two pack was about $5. Now the only problem is that my rm doesn't remember to latch them. Lol. That's on him;I've done everything I can.

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use a plastic wrapping paper container they sell at walmart as a trashcan. It works great and I believe it cost $12 for 1 (they sell a pair online for $24) (instead of spending so much more on a secure trashcan, which they sometimes sell for $20 or more). They are about the same height and size and the lid has clips on it to keep the cats from being able to get into it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Homz-30-G...fault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good for you in buying those latches. I would remind your roommate that the next mess that gets made will be on him to clean up. If it ends up being an especially messy one, I don't think he'll forfet any more!