Cat proof faucets

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My naughty kitties turned on my drinking water faucet and flooded my house. I’m afraid they’ll figure out how to do the same with my regular faucet. These are the most cat proof design I’ve seen. Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? Not sure if one dial orientation would be better than the other…I like the look of the double faucet but I’d rather have one knob than two. Photo of naughty kitties attached. 😂

IMG_0776.png

View attachment 473212View attachment 473213

Attachments

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats are beautiful! But you are right, naughty. You can't have your house flooded! I think those faucets would be good, anything that they just can't hit or rub against to turn on. It may be easier to get them a fountain of their own, (my cats loved theirs!) and put some clear plastic carpet runner cut to fit around the area of the faucet and out onto the counter. This is temporary until they learn. You put the nub side up, it won't hurt them but makes it uncomfortable to walk on. you may want to use it when you are gone too! I saw a small roll of it near the sewing department at Walmart. Or it would be online. It really works/

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The second and third ones look the most "cat proof" to me. First may be fine, but I think that the vertical position of the handle on the second two would be harder for little paws to manage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes the current ones have lever handles. The drinking water faucet especially turns on very easily. I could easily see them figuring out how to turn on the main faucet too. I do agree the vertical dials seem like they would be the best. I haven’t seen anything else similar to these that seem like they’d be impossible for the kitties to turn on.

I may eventually get them a fountain. I just hate dealing with the cleaning!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the l word.....liver
The second and third ones look the most "cat proof" to me. First may be fine, but I think that the vertical position of the handle on the second two would be harder for little paws to manage.
I agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . As someone who had her bathroom flooded by a naughty cat, I feel for you :alright: I have the lever handles in the bathroom the door stays shut now. Lucky the taps downstairs aren't lever handles. They are old fashioned twist type. Hope too much damage wasn't done. I had to poke holes in my living room ceiling to let the water drain. Was lucky the ceiling didn't come down.

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can try praying some orange scented perfume by the sink. Most cats don't like the smell of oranges or anything citrus.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I am going to get this one. There is no handle at all—you push the button in to turn it on and off. Seems like it would be impossible for a cat to do that?! Debating this drinking water faucet vs the one I originally posted. A cat might be able to turn this one easier? None of these are available for me to see in person so I might just order both to compare.

IMG_0797.png

IMG_0798.jpeg

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found this drinking water faucet today. What do you guys think between this, the kraus urbix in the original post, and the one with the dial in the post above this? Which is my cat least likely to be able to turn on?

IMG_0800.png

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They also have this one but not seeing a place to actually buy it.
IMG_0801.png

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Along with whichever faucet you go with (I like the one in your post #10. Do you want an RO? It strips all the minerals from the water.) ... you might consider getting a fountain like this below.

My angel Poppycat loved the kitchen faucet but jumping down was hard on his joints, and after trying a couple other types/configurations of fountains he actually liked this one;

https://www.chewy.com/pioneer-pet-s...-TLZ9ZyD0wTkCqNjMao2AoVBv9zVXI2caAnwHEALw_wcB

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I already have the RO system, just need to replace the faucet so I don’t have a flooded house again!

I may get them a fountain but I will never not worry about this happening again.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it a kitchen faucet or just a filter one?

I would not get the push button one, if its anything like the ones Ive used they don't stay on long enough to even wash your hands.
Amazon.ca

how about something like this?

Ps. Your images have cut off the important searchable parts so I can't see them! Just link to the product instead.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The push button one stays on until you push the button again, but after toying with my current faucet, I think I’m going to just stick with that instead of spending $$$ on the Grohe. This is the type I have now, and it doesn’t pull up that easily, so I think they’d have to really work at it for quite a while to get it on. In theory I think it’s possible but in reality not so much. I’m also going to have an automatic water shutoff installed.

I was going to replace both the main faucet and the beverage faucet, but I think I’ll just do the beverage one and the automatic shutoff.

IMG_0803.png

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel like they could play with and turn on any of those cross handle bar types?! I don’t like the old fashioned large twist knobs and even those I feel like they could possibly turn on!