Cat, Pregnant, Vocal And Biting.

Maleficents_mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is pregnant, though when I got her 4 yrs ago she was always quiet, now she's howling and wont let me leave her side and nipping at me to get my attention. She even went so far as to nip at my nose for me to look at her...is this normal during pregnancy?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not the most usual no.
She wants prob your attention, many becomes more dependand on their Momma.

Its also possible she is in heat! I write this because your wording - howling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maleficents_mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's having contractions. Shes ready but I was mostly concerned about the nipping. She has been feeling(?) Since yesterday. I can feel that the babies are lower down now.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats really want attention and companionship when they are in labor. I have a girl who always tries to grab me with her paw and pull me closer. It's sweet when a mom in labor appreciates your help, just be careful about the nipping, as the worst cat bite I ever had was from a mom in labor who was giving me a gentle love bite and then had a sudden painful contraction and bit down on me! So now I recommend staying out of biting range when a mom is in labor :)

Maleficents_mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats really want attention and companionship when they are in labor. I have a girl who always tries to grab me with her paw and pull me closer. It's sweet when a mom in labor appreciates your help, just be careful about the nipping, as the worst cat bite I ever had was from a mom in labor who was giving me a gentle love bite and then had a sudden painful contraction and bit down on me! So now I recommend staying out of biting range when a mom is in labor :)
I appreciate the help and yes, I will be careful. She nearly took down my door trying to get to me while I was trying to get my little space set up for me to be with her.

Maleficents_mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has also decided to make her nest out of my clothes rather than the nest I tried to help her with...

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably your clothes smell comforting to her because she loves you. But you may want to switch out your clothes with other bedding so that she doesn't get blood stains on your clothes. Birth can be messy.

Maleficents_mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Probably your clothes smell comforting to her because she loves you. But you may want to switch out your clothes with other bedding so that she doesn't get blood stains on your clothes. Birth can be messy.

Luckily the clothes she chose do not fit me anymore so I'm not to worried. She is a spoiled kitty when it comes to her first litter of kittens. :)

Maleficents_mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is your cat doing today?
She is doing okay. I think she was actually having false labor cuz she is asleep at my feet right now and no kittens were born yet. She is very much okay today. Thank you for asking.