Cat Pregnant For The First Time

SammieAsMagPie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well to start off I received a mother cat and her 3 month old female kitten from someone who neglected to tell me momma was pregnant again resulting in 5 very healthy babies thank goodness. One of her children is now pregnant for the first time (she is almost 2 now) and I believe her mucus plug came out but I'm not sure what it actually was as I've been searching things for the past 2+hrs

It was a clear round ball like thing with something milky white in it and with smaller bits of the white inside of it, it didn't pop or fall apart when touched but I'm not sure what it was? There was a small amount of blood as well and I thought she was going into labor but that was at 6am and now its 3am the next day
She seems fine and is acting completely notmal buy her belly seems to have sucked in a bit as if she had kittens but there aren't any
I have no idea what's going on with her, any help is appreciated

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suppose it was the mucus plug. Its seldom that round and clear as a mint new, but it cant be much else. She also seems to have dropped as her belly has "sucked in". so the delivery is nearing. But we cant know the exact hour.

So far everything seems perfectly normal.

Dont forget to spay everyone not spayed when the proper time is in. For the momma typically when the kittens are 8 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SammieAsMagPie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suppose it was the mucus plug. Its seldom that round and clear as a mint new, but it cant be much else. She also seems to have dropped as her belly has "sucked in". so the delivery is nearing. But we cant know the exact hour.

So far everything seems perfectly normal.

Dont forget to spay everyone not spayed when the proper time is in. For the momma typically when the kittens are 8 weeks.
Well yea thats what I thought. She seemed to show having small contractions but than it stopped, she has been acting normal ever since (its been roughly 10 hours since the mucus plug if that's what it was)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you like help finding a low cost clinic to spay and neuter in your area?

Are all of your cats indoors only now?

SammieAsMagPie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would you like help finding a low cost clinic to spay and neuter in your area?

Are all of your cats indoors only now?
All of my babies are currently indoor and I'll be moving at the end of the year with them but they will stay indoor kitties

Is it normal for it to last this long? She still hasn't had any kittens and her tummy feels smaller than yesterday for some reason

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my babies are currently indoor and I'll be moving at the end of the year with them but they will stay indoor kitties

Is it normal for it to last this long? She still hasn't had any kittens and her tummy feels smaller than yesterday for some reason
She is probably ok as long as she isn't straining to push.

It's best for your cats to spay and neuter, even if they are indoor only. Great that you are keeping them in, though! Cats are prone to reproductive cancers and infections. How many cats do you have?

SammieAsMagPie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is probably ok as long as she isn't straining to push.

It's best for your cats to spay and neuter, even if they are indoor only. Great that you are keeping them in, though! Cats are prone to reproductive cancers and infections. How many cats do you have?
Well its been roughly 14ish hours since the mucus plug (which I'm not 100%/ that's what it was?) So it's just a bit tense since her mom had her babies pretty quickly

I've got 5 females momma and her 4 daughters

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well its been roughly 14ish hours since the mucus plug (which I'm not 100%/ that's what it was?) So it's just a bit tense since her mom had her babies pretty quickly

I've got 5 females momma and her 4 daughters
In theory, the mucus plug plops out just hours before the actual delivery. But in practice it may happen even several days before.
Her "dropping" becoming less big, is a safer sign, so we know its nearing.

Everything is OK so far, as there is no pushing.

SammieAsMagPie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In theory, the mucus plug plops out just hours before the actual delivery. But in practice it may happen even several days before.

Ah OK well that's relieving
She's running back and forth between her nest and the bed just napping when she lays down so maybe its just because it's her first time?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah OK well that's relieving
She's running back and forth between her nest and the bed just napping when she lays down so maybe its just because it's her first time?
All sounds normal so far. Do you have nests set up?

You will need to keep this mama cat away from the others. With five females, you are bound to have fighting and hormone-charged conflict. The new mom needs safe and quiet.

SammieAsMagPie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All sounds normal so far. Do you have nests set up?

You will need to keep this mama cat away from the others. With five females, you are bound to have fighting and hormone-charged conflict. The new mom needs safe and quiet.
Yes she has the entire closet that she has chosen
She is currently knocked out beside me so I'm not sure if she is in labor maybe a false alarm?
But the others are her sisters and mom everyone is super sweet and lovey with each other

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she has the entire closet that she has chosen
She is currently knocked out beside me so I'm not sure if she is in labor maybe a false alarm?
But the others are her sisters and mom everyone is super sweet and lovey with each other
Yes, the point is that could change. Hormones do a lot. The kittens will also continue to mature. Female cats are territorial and not meant to cohabitate when intact.

SammieAsMagPie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the point is that could change. Hormones do a lot. The kittens will also continue to mature. Female cats are territorial and not meant to cohabitate when intact.
At the moment I'm not sure she's even in labor or the first stages of it, its been 20 hours so far and she's acting completely

SammieAsMagPie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
, member: 94840"]Yes, the point is that could change. Hormones do a lot. The kittens will also continue to mature. Female cats are territorial and not meant to cohabitate when intact.[/QUOTE]

Sorry.my phone messed up
But yes she's acting completely normal so I'm not sure what's going on
Plus I did try to separate her a fee times but she refused and kept scratching at the door to be back with her family so its whatever she wants, that's what I've read when I looked up a bunch of stuff

SammieAsMagPie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Its been more than the 24hrs for the first part of labor, if it wasn't the mucus plug I have no idea what it was because if it was she should have had her kittens by now so.......

SammieAsMagPie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have any idea when she mated?
Not the exact day but I know its either time or very very close to being time as I actually also have a 2 month old kitten so there's that to help with my time forgetting

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait maybe I am confused, who did she mate with if you have all females and they are indoors? Did she sneak out? Are they all intact? Ever hear of pyometra?

Also any updates on her?

SammieAsMagPie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wait maybe I am confused, who did she mate with if you have all females and they are indoors? Did she sneak out? Are they all intact? Ever hear of pyometra?

Also any updates on her?
I temporarily adopted a boy to do this with because I only had females, so that's how it happened. And I haven't heard of pyometra, all my girls are very healthy kitties.

She is curled up sleeping

Attachments

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So what is the plan with the kittens? If you keep any boys they can get all the girls pregnant unbelievably young just FYI. Pyometra is an infected uterus which can happen when cats are left intact for years. I assume the boy you brought in to mate with was blood tested particularly for FIV/FeLV first so you can assure you didn't expose your babies to deadly diseases?