Cat Pregnancy time

stenny88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my cat (Bella) went into season on 1st Feb we didn't want her having kittens just yet but because we was away my sister inlaw was looking after her and let her out she is now very pregnant but im trying to work out a rough idea when she will be due do I start it from the day she went into season??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hi my cat (Bella) went into season on 1st Feb we didn't want her having kittens just yet but because we was away my sister inlaw was looking after her and let her out she is now very pregnant but im trying to work out a rough idea when she will be due do I start it from the day she went into season??
You start from the day you think she got mated.   Anyways, the exact day doesnt matter much, as the other end may vary, anywhere between 60-72 days.  Although 63-66 is the most common.

I myself use to say 65, 

After quite exactly three weeks, ie about day 21, the nipples gets strong rosy.  You begin to feel the kittens move 2, possibly almost 3 weeks before delivery.

So you have 10-14 days left now, I think, if I count correctly.

Here some links - but dont hesitate to come with further questions and reports:

Good luck!

Most of these links have been readied by our forumist  Red Top Rescue:

We have a good collection of articles in the Cat Health section which you can access by scrolling up to the brown bar, clicking on Articles,and then choosing the Cat Health section and scrolling through the choices.  To make this super easy for you, I am copying the links regarding birth, delivery and newborns for you here.  After reading this information, let us know if you have any more questions.  And good luck with your approaching new arrivals.

Birth, Delivery and Newborns

How to Tell if My Cat is Pregnant?

Cat Pregnancy

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth

Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!

Premature Kittens

Post-Birth Complications in Cats

And also:

http://www.icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens     ( This is a link to a group of articles on cat pregnancy, birth and kittens.   Read the ones on normal cat birth and on " when to wait and when to worry"  )  

Fleece or flannel good to use in the bedding for kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stenny88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you I will have a read :)

Her nipples are very rosy and bigger then usual. I've swapped her food to kitten food as I read this is meant to be good for them as they cant eat much even though she is been very fussy with her food.

I also read that im meant to keep her in doors incase she goes into labour outside when should I start to keep her in as she loves playing outside??

Thank you :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

thank you I will have a read :)

Her nipples are very rosy and bigger then usual. I've swapped her food to kitten food as I read this is meant to be good for them as they cant eat much even though she is been very fussy with her food.

I also read that im meant to keep her in doors incase she goes into labour outside when should I start to keep her in as she loves playing outside??

Thank you :)
If you can follow her out and keep an eye on her, you can have her out several days more.   She is practically defenceless in her condition, if anything is attackin her.

But otherwise, good you begin to learn her be inside from now.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stenny88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Soo my cat has 2 kittens now and she hasnt chewed off the cord what do i do x

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the after birth still attached, or is it just a long cord (2inches or so) hanging from the baby? If just the cord that is all right, if big afterbirth still attached, like said above, 'pinch' it apart about an inch from the baby's stomach. If cut with a sharp knife it will bleed too much, it must be dull to 'pinch'.

Last edited:

jhannamarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stenny 88 why is it important not to use a sharp knife or scissors?