Cat Possibly Pregnant But Showing Signs Of Heat

lilacluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!!! I'm Jacki and I'm new here. I have an indoor only 2 year old, female, American shorthair named Luna and she is our only cat at the moment. When my boyfriend and I got her, she was not spayed but we eventually made an appointment to get that process along. She mananged to escape outside when our roommate left our basement door wide open (ironically the day we made that appointment for a few weeks from then). I have a previous history with unexpected kittens so when we finally found her under our shed, I was immediately concerned about mating while she was outside due to a plethora local barn cats. We immediately called the vet and changed our appointment for a check up.

She did start showing signs of pregnancy around 2-3 weeks such as more prominent nipples and being more affectionate (she's a very quiet and skittish lady who doesn't like interacting all the time). Along with that, she is starting to have her tummy get a little larger. She also stopped showing signs of heat as these other symptoms developed.

Her appointment is coming up in a few days so we can have official confirmation. As of today though (the hottest day of the season), she started showing signs of heat again such as rolling around and raising her butt when petting her body.

Is this normal for early pregnancy cats?

Along with this, how do I talk to my boyfriend about spaying her before having kittens if she is pregnant? He isn't comfortable with the idea of it remotely and I understand the sadness/discomfort he feels but I want to be responsible. Regardless of that, day of her escaping, we both agreed to spay her as soon as we could if she did deliver kittens and contacted a foster for advice for raising kittens. I want us to come to an agreement on it, I cannot force him into it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she sounds pregnant. The "heat" signs you see are from her pregnancy hormones, which cause similar affectionate behavior as heat.

So you want to spay and terminate the pregnancy but your boyfriend does not?

When did she go outside? Do you recall the date? About how many weeks along is she?

If she has the kittens, she can be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilacluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She went outside exactly three weeks ago to date. Her appointment is coming up in three days.

At first I was unsure about it since I didn't know you could terminate a pregnancy in a cat but after researching I thought that might be best for her because we are staying in a rustic area so there aren't many shelters accepting cats. When I suggested it to my boyfriend, he was upset by the idea. I told him if she does follow through with the pregnancy that we would keep/raise the kittens at best or connecting with a local foster and helping them get spayed/neutered/adopted at least.

lilacluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm trying my best to think about this the most responsible way!! Thank you for your swift responses :) I'm hoping to talk to him again before her appointment.

Is there a time that is too late to terminate?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I personally do not like to terminate after the halfway point. The kittens put on weight and get their fur the last 2-3 weeks and become viable outside the womb. You can see and feel them moving the last few weeks. The earlier the better.

Mama kitty also is hormonally primed to care for kittens at a certain point, and it can be hard on her as the pregnancy progresses if she loses her kittens.

Some vets refuse to terminate after a certain point. Others will terminate right up to the end when the kittens need to be euthanized during the surgical procedure.

lilacluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your honesty!! I'm gonna see how the vet feels and keep you guys updated :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is 3 weeks along at the time of the spay, it will not be much different than a normal spay. The kittens are far from viable at this point.

Good for you for thinking this through!