Cat poops while standing up?

Catmatt1983

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m new to this website I apologize if this isn’t the place to ask this.
I have a cat that is 10+ years old.
He’s been having runny stool for a while now. Several months back I took him to my primary vet where they told me they didn’t have proper equipment to diagnose what was wrong with him so I had to take him to a vet on a college campus.
This vet is known for overcharging and doing unnecessary things to help students learn, and they charge pet owners for unnecessary things.
I spent almost 3,000 dollars for them to tell me they weren’t sure what was wrong with him, and they wanted to do more tests that would cost 3 to 5,000 additional more dollars. (Including putting him under and removing tissue from his organs, and he is an old cat that may not wake up from this) I couldn’t afford this so they gave me a medication for his liver and this seemed to help for a while.
He’s recently started just randomly stopping while he’s walking and spraying stool onto the floor, and it never seems to be solid when he goes anymore. He doesn’t squat to go when this happens, he just stops and stands normally.
I don’t have the money to spend 5,000 more dollars for a diagnosis alone ( not even counting board and actual treatment costs/medication and so on).

Does anyone have any idea what this could be or advice ?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try some probiotics for cats and see if that helps. He may not be squatting to go because it catches him by surprise and comes so suddenly. I would bring in some stool and have it checked for Giardia, a parasite that causes diarrhea. Other than that try to find a food that is for digestive troubles and see if that helps. Has there been any food changes since this all happened?
I'm so sorry for his troubles, I know how frustrating this can be. You might ask around and see if there is a less expensive vet that is recommended by others. You can go to that college and ask for all the test results that they have to help the new vet, after all, you paid for them, and dearly!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree about trying some probiotics. The one that a lot of members on this site use is Saccharomyces boulardii (I think Jarrow seems to be the preferred brand). I've included a link below for some additional probiotics to consider, as well.

But I think you might go further with fecal testing - as in a full fecal PCR which checks for an assortment of bacteria/viral conditions, as well as many different parasites. This test isn't cheap, and I know you just spent a lot of money already - so, as advised above, get a copy of all his records sent to you - you might find that they ran the PCR test.

And, by all means, check with friends/family/neighbors/co-workers for a recommendation for another vet to replace your current primary one who doesn't seem to be equipped to do much testing. Having his records should go a long way in cutting down redundant testing and associated costs.
11 Best Probiotics For Cats In 2022: Unbiased Review - All About Cats

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I were in this situation, and fecal tests proved negative, I'd start doing elimination diets.

Starting with cutting all carbohydrates, and then trying to isolate proteins (if cutting carbs didn't work).

Sorry you are dealing with this.

Bill

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmatt1983

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would try some probiotics for cats and see if that helps. He may not be squatting to go because it catches him by surprise and comes so suddenly. I would bring in some stool and have it checked for Giardia, a parasite that causes diarrhea. Other than that try to find a food that is for digestive troubles and see if that helps. Has there been any food changes since this all happened?
I'm so sorry for his troubles, I know how frustrating this can be. You might ask around and see if there is a less expensive vet that is recommended by others. You can go to that college and ask for all the test results that they have to help the new vet, after all, you paid for them, and dearly!
Just last week we had to change their food because our pet store stopped carrying their old one but these problems were going on before this. I will look into some probiotics and see if I can get some of his stool tested.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding canned or dry food? If you're feeding canned food, add saccharoymeses boulardii to his wet food. You could even try something like Culturelle which is easily found in places like Walmart.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would start with a fecal test. They usually have results the same day. If its neg, then I agree with the probiotics. You can also try can plain pumpkin. It helps constipation and diarrhea. Deworming might also be worth considering.