Cat Poops On Floor 14 Yr Old Birman Has Started Pooping On Carpet

bsilverfox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat is in good health. Birman female. Lives with another Birman same age, female. Has used litter box for 14 years. Litter box is cleaned and deodorized daily. Using Swheat Scoop & have for years. Cat has started using the carpet about 6-7 feet away from the 2 litter boxes in the room. No urine outside box yet that we have discovered. Nothing "different" has happened in the house. I shampooed the carpet 2 days ago but the problem began before that. Cat has run of the house - large rancher with lower level clubroom. This has been going on on an occasional basis for about 2 weeks but the last 2 days has increased. Any help/suggestions would be really appreciated. We love the cat but this behavior is totally unacceptable. The cats were my idea 14 years ago and my wife said OK but they are "your cats". She is not a happy camper. Years ago we had 3 litter boxes - have read "..you should have 1 more litter box than the # of cats". They never used it. The boxes are covered one. Help...............

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try taking the cover off the litter box. Since she is an older cat, she might be getting arthritis and it might be harder to get in and out of the litter box. Maybe get one with a lower entrance. Also, my cat has pooped outside the litter box when she's constipated. I make sure that she has enough canned food and I give her hairball treats a few times a week to keep the constipation away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bsilverfox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try taking the cover off the litter box. Since she is an older cat, she might be getting arthritis and it might be harder to get in and out of the litter box. Maybe get one with a lower entrance. Also, my cat has pooped outside the litter box when she's constipated. I make sure that she has enough canned food and I give her hairball treats a few times a week to keep the constipation away.
Thanks, Maggiedemi for you prompt reply & suggestion. Seal--the cat in question is still quite agile - jumping easily to her grooming table and our bed frequently. She gets ProPlan wet food twice a day along with dry available 24/7. Recently she has had loose bowels which is unusual. I am going to try removing the lid from 1 box & I may try a 3rd box & place it on the spot on the carpet she has been favoring with her presents. I was hoping this is just an anomaly but it is turning into a habit. Thanks again for your response!!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
You mentioned your cat was in good health but how long has it been since her last vet check? The health of a cat her age can change very quickly so if she hasn't been to the vet since this problem started she needs a visit and a senior bloodwork panel. My experience is that absent a disrupting or stressful household event like adding or losing a pet, or some change with owners, a cat this age doesn't suddenly break litter training without there being a physical or mental issue going on. Also, check her paws and nails. Sometimes as they get older their nails can start to curl into their paws if they aren't trim, making them very sensitive.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said she has loose poops, I know diarrhea can burn sometimes coming out. That could make her avoid the litter box.