Cat Poops Every 3 Days.

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody, so I have this thing that is worrying me a bit with my cat.
He used to poop every day when he was smaller, then he switched to every 2 days and now he is pooping every 3 days, should I be worried?
He is on a special UTI food and I feed him 98% wet food, I also put water in his food. I try to feed him about 1 can and half a day, that's what the vet said I should so he isn't eating as much as before either and no more dry food unless I want to give it to him as a treat.
He is also taking some medicine for his seizures.
He doesn't try to poo or anything, his last poop was good. I want to call my vet and ask him but I wanted to see what you guys say, how many time does your cat poop?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat usually is a once a day poop type. I'd assume that cats, like people, have different rates. I knew a girl in high school who only had bowel movements every five days and thought it was super weird that other people had it more frequently. I'd assume it may just be normal.

However, since there are other health concerns a call to your vet to confirm is probably wisest.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When he does go, have you noticed if it takes him awhile to produce or does he seem to manage okay? My non-constipated cats hop in the box, and go. My constipated cat assumes the pose, and it takes longer for him to go. Sometimes he doesn't, despite the effort. The latter is a sign of a cat that struggles with constipation, in my opinion anyway.

Does your cat start to eat less as the days go by? Or does he eat as enthusiastically on day 3 as he does on day 1? Cats who have stools that need to evacuate can act as though they aren't hungry until they can eliminate.

Are his stools dry or seem normal looking? Pebbly or uh, one longer piece?

Is constipation a side effect of the seizure medication perhaps? For example, does the thing that control the seizures also affect a cat's urge to go?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When he does go, have you noticed if it takes him awhile to produce or does he seem to manage okay? My non-constipated cats hop in the box, and go. My constipated cat assumes the pose, and it takes longer for him to go. Sometimes he doesn't, despite the effort. The latter is a sign of a cat that struggles with constipation, in my opinion anyway.

Does your cat start to eat less as the days go by? Or does he eat as enthusiastically on day 3 as he does on day 1? Cats who have stools that need to evacuate can act as though they aren't hungry until they can eliminate.

Are his stools dry or seem normal looking? Pebbly or uh, one longer piece?

Is constipation a side effect of the seizure medication perhaps? For example, does the thing that control the seizures also affect a cat's urge to go?
So last time he went he didn't struggle or did anything different then usual, his poop was a long one and it wasn't dry, it was a bit moist and normal looking.
The side effects of the medication is actually diarrhea not constipation from what the vet said to me.
He isn't eating less by the third day, he is actually eating about the same. I also did give him a bit of pumpkin, maybe that will help but he is yet to poop or try to poop today and its 3rd day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat usually is a once a day poop type. I'd assume that cats, like people, have different rates. I knew a girl in high school who only had bowel movements every five days and thought it was super weird that other people had it more frequently. I'd assume it may just be normal.

However, since there are other health concerns a call to your vet to confirm is probably wisest.
He used to be a once a day poop cat but I know that back then he used to eat way more, he was a bit overweight too. Since his UTI last year and since he only eats wet food, he lost some weight and he now poops less and he also now pees once a day and he used to pee twice a day.
But is the pooping that is worrying me a bit.

bishoy.isaac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everybody, so I have this thing that is worrying me a bit with my cat.
He used to poop every day when he was smaller, then he switched to every 2 days and now he is pooping every 3 days, should I be worried?
He is on a special UTI food and I feed him 98% wet food, I also put water in his food. I try to feed him about 1 can and half a day, that's what the vet said I should so he isn't eating as much as before either and no more dry food unless I want to give it to him as a treat.
He is also taking some medicine for his seizures.
He doesn't try to poo or anything, his last poop was good. I want to call my vet and ask him but I wanted to see what you guys say, how many time does your cat poop?
Hey buddy I have the same problem with my cat who used to poop every day and since I changed his diet to RC urinary he poops less often
How is your kitty doing now ? Have you found any solution or is it normal for him to poop every 2-3 days ?