Cat pooping outside of box

fraggle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.. I have two cats. one 5 year old overweight snow shoe male and a 2 y/o tabby.. My snowshoe has been pooping outside the box for about 2 months now. He urinates still in the box which I'm so glad for, but his pooping out the box has gotten out of control! He started with pooping on my roommates bed twice., then my bed. I took him to the vet and she suggested I get pheromone spray and diffuser and one more litter box. I did and no change I took him to another vet and he really has no more advice.. I got his blood drawn and his anal glands squeezed and he got a clean bill if health. So I thought he may be constipated and put some hair ball stuff in his food because he won't eat it other wise.. No change. I got a big cage that I thought I was gonna put him in and retrain him to use the box by locking him in , but I haven't had the heart to do it. I think he had a painful or bad experience in the box and is traumatized by it. I just don't know what to do to fix it!! He continues to poop out of the box everyday or every other day! Can someone help me?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It is really hard when a cat does this and you don't know the reason.  I had a cat that started when she was just a few years old and the behaviour got worse until it was pretty much all the time , just outside her box.  It was reading a book one day that talked about associations with pain I realised it was because she associated her box with urinating which was sore so she pooped somewhere else.  It felt easier after that even though it was hard to live with.

If you think maybe there was a bad experience on one occasion have you tried testing out different things which might make a difference other than the second box?

Sometimes it is because a box seems unsafe with the other cat watching it or guarding it in some way, or always seeming to use the box first and putting their scent on it?  A need to make their scent more prominent and keep the other cat away?

Not liking the same texture of litter for poop as they do for pee, or how well it does or does not cover odour.  Some cats like to poop in a covered and pee in open or visa versa, and may have been fine for years and suddenly decide they want something different because they can't get in a comfortable position of feel exposed.  Or want to see everything around them. It can be about size in a box, or joint or back pain when in a particular position and changing the box sometimes helps with this.

Although you say nothing has changed it is worth thinking all around the situation, your home, your cats, how they are in themselves and how they are or are not getting along, any other animals that might be around your home and might be able to overlook where the litter trays are. Any previous illnesses, or changes in diets that might seem insignificant but perhaps change consistency of bowel movements and make them troubling for your cat in some way.

I used to place my cats' tray on newspaper or puppy pads with the front opening over an area of paper so hopefully the poop or any spillages would be on the paper.  Sometimes they were and sometimes not but it did help reduce the cleaning a little.

teddytimble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello

I am wondering where you have placed your cats litter tray, they like somewhere private as they feel very vulnerable when they are peeing and pooping. I do not know if that is what is causing your cat to go outside his tray? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fraggle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, thanks so much MServant and teddytimble for taking time to respond :). I have tried different litter and top on top off of the litter box. I even got a litter box and put carpet in the bottom if it. The litter boxes are placed in the living room in the corner in a quiet area.. I placed two more in the front just in case.. I think JoJo ( that's my cats name) is stressed out. And it revolves around the pooping situation.. I think I am going to have to save up and contact a cat behaviorist to come in and help me!!

teddytimble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, thanks so much MServant and teddytimble for taking time to respond
. I have tried different litter and top on top off of the litter box. I even got a litter box and put carpet in the bottom if it. The litter boxes are placed in the living room in the corner in a quiet area.. I placed two more in the front just in case.. I think JoJo ( that's my cats name) is stressed out. And it revolves around the pooping situation.. I think I am going to have to save up and contact a cat behaviorist to come in and help me!!
Hello fraggle

you say your cat is stressed out, do you know why JoJo maybe stressed, is it something other than the "poop" problem?  I used to have  a little male cat who was quite nervous, he sprayed around quite a lot and when I moved from a flat to a house he stopped!  What sort of cat litter do you use, in UK we have the granules and also wood pellets, I am not sure where you are.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hi fraggie,

i'm sorry you've been having such a frustrating time with JoJo going #2 outside of the litter box..

i know you've mentioned that your cat as had some blood work done, as well as having his anal glands expressed. has he had an xray? i've heard of cats going outside of the litter box because of some arthritic paid at the base of the tail, because it caused them pain when they are doing #2...something to consider.

Also @teddytimble  brings up a good point. Why is your kitty stressed? are there reasons that he should be??

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It would be interesting to hear if you do have thoughts on what might be the source/s of JoJo's stress, or if any indications of pain. Although only 5 some cats can develop joint and arthritic pain sometimes, or a trapped nerve perhaps which can cause problems. 

Interesting idea trying the carpet texture in the litter tray to try and get JoJo tempted in there.  A nice example of 'thinking outside the box' about inside the box!  

fraggle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys :).. Well the only stress I see really is the stress he exhibits when he runs and is all scared and bolting around the house after get pooos in the floor.. Like he knows it's not okay maybe? We know when he's pooped if we see him running crazy then usually sure enough there's poop on the floor..my boyfriend wants me to get a ultra sound for JoJo.. Possibly he has intestinal problems they didn't pick up from a exam?? I have noticed he is constipated! I am going to try to introduce coconut oil into his food to see if this helps... I thought the carpet in the litter box was a good idea too MServant.. It's just too bad it didn't work:(. I haven't notice any limping or symptoms of arthritis.. And the base if his tail he doesn't mind being touched or patted so I'm not sure it's that.. Gonna try and get his stool softened and see what happens.. I just keep trying... What do you think about a ultra sound?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Constipation can be pretty painful so may well be associated.

Is  JoJo on wet food?  Have you tried altering the food to see if it helps with the constipation at all?  That might be worth looking at as well as the coconut oil.  If it doesn't improvement with any of that I would look to talk with your vet again, or see a different one if you have a choice.  It might be worth having a read of some of the health and nutrition threads and articles for some dietary advice as nutrition can make a really big difference with this kind of thing.

I haven't had experience of ultrasound with cats but again, you will probably find lots of information around the health forum for this, and any other tests and things people have had success with.  I hope you manage to find a way to find out what is happening for JoJo and get things back to a nice calm again.  If he is running about after he has pooped on the floor it sounds like he isn't happy about it either and wants it cleared away.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had a couple incidents with Lilly where she popped outside of the box once on the shelf under the coffee table and once smack bang in the middle of the lounge carpet. She was on wet kitten food at the time and was eating less and less of it as she wasn't as keen on it as she first was! With her already being on the cusp of turning 1 (It was her birthday yesterday) we switched her to adult food (pate style) and an adult kibble to! And we introduced and uncovered box in our bathroom! She has a covered box in the lounge so we decided to give this a go after talking to our vet over the phone and we haven't looked back the worst issues have been ;litter tracking on the tiled floor in the bathroom and my toddler finding it fun to dip bits of Lilly's kibble into her water bowl! I agree with Mani a change in food could make all the difference it was one of the contributing factors to sorting Lilly's issues out we are now focusing on her inappropriate scratching she likes the vertical parts of the couches and the curved horizontal front of my cuddle couch! 

fraggle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again.. So I introduced the coconut oil into the cats wet food.. I feed them mostly wet with a little bit of dry on the side..it seems to be working. JoJo had a potty that was not hard. So now I'm going to focus on watching his poop patterns. What time he goes and them put him in the large cat cage with the litter box in it to see if I can retrain him to use the box. That's the plan as of now.. Wish me luck .. Thianks for all the great input. It was so nice to have people to help me. :)

scorpgirl68

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, thanks so much MServant and teddytimble for taking time to respond
. I have tried different litter and top on top off of the litter box. I even got a litter box and put carpet in the bottom if it. The litter boxes are placed in the living room in the corner in a quiet area.. I placed two more in the front just in case.. I think JoJo ( that's my cats name) is stressed out. And it revolves around the pooping situation.. I think I am going to have to save up and contact a cat behaviorist to come in and help me!!
I am having the same issue with one of my felines. He goes pee in the box but poops outside and away from it. He has been having a constipation issue that I am working on getting resolved through diet change. Funny you should mention a behaviourist. I will be visiting a pet communicator and am hoping she may have some insight as to why this is happening along with a couple other issues I have with the other male. Tomorrow can't come soon enough!

scorpgirl68

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello guys
.. Well the only stress I see really is the stress he exhibits when he runs and is all scared and bolting around the house after get pooos in the floor.. Like he knows it's not okay maybe? We know when he's pooped if we see him running crazy then usually sure enough there's poop on the floor..my boyfriend wants me to get a ultra sound for JoJo.. Possibly he has intestinal problems they didn't pick up from a exam?? I have noticed he is constipated! I am going to try to introduce coconut oil into his food to see if this helps... I thought the carpet in the litter box was a good idea too MServant.. It's just too bad it didn't work:(. I haven't notice any limping or symptoms of arthritis.. And the base if his tail he doesn't mind being touched or patted so I'm not sure it's that.. Gonna try and get his stool softened and see what happens.. I just keep trying... What do you think about a ultra sound?
Mine does the same thing. He must know it is wrong and I caught him "in the act" a few times, picked him up and put him by the boxes thinking he might hop in. Big mistake as I believe all I did was stress him out even more.

I'm curious as the last post was a while ago, was JoJo able to resolve his issue?