Cat pooping outside litter box

queenb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a friend who has 11 cats. They are well cared for, but she has a cat name Rambo who is very loveable and sweet. She has raised him from a small kitten. His only problem is he refuses to poop in the litter box. He will pee in the box but poops everywhere else. When she puts him in a large crate with a litter box he will pee and poop in it but refuses to poop in the litter box when he is out and roaming around the house with the other cats. It kills her to put him in the crate by himself ,plus he whines when he goes in the crate, but she doesn't know what else to do. Do anyone has any other suggestions. Thanks!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first question would be how many litter boxes does she have?  You needs to have a lot for 11 cats.  Also how often are they cleaned?  Cats often like to pee and poop in separate boxes and they like the boxes sparkling clean.  If the boxes are not clean or there are not enough boxes then that could cause an issue.  Also could there possibly have been an incident when while the cat was in the box, he was ambushed by one of the other cats?  This could frighten him into not wanting to poop in the box. 

One trick, is to take the poop from outside the box and bury it in the box.  This allows his scent to be in the box.

Here's a great article on litter box issues.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-solve-litterbox-problems-in-cats-the-ultimate-guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

queenb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ShadowsRescue,

Thank you so much for your advice. Great article by the way. I will pass it on to her and hope it helps.