Cat Pooping Outside Litter Box - NO idea why!! Help

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Problem: Cat Pooping Outside Box

-Cats Total 3 Males
(1) Problem Cat Siamese 2.5 years old. (2) Maine Coon: 3.5 years old. Both cats LOVE each other – eat, sleep, etc etc together. No behavior changes noted
Mother lives with me: Her Cat 8+ years old male. Has been with us over 1 year. No issues with other cats

-Problem cat: super spoiled/loved by me, grain free diet both dry and canned. Eats normally. Drinks normally.

-NEW Changes: Cosenquin chewable x3 weeks. Brother visit 5 days (left 2 days ago). My brother does frequently visit, and he loves this cat. My cat does seem to get along with him. Even sits on his clothes.

-Litter boxes are cleaned DAILY!! No litter changes

-Day #1: Pooped in Brother’s shower and my chair. So thought maybe it’s a territory/revenge thing. We cleaned shower – deep clean and used an enzyme degrader too
-Day #2: Pooped outside bathroom of brother (we closed door). Same as above cleaned.
-Day #3: Brother left this day. Replaced entire litter box set-up – EVERYTHING new and clean. Even added litter attract by Dr. Elsie. We deep cleaned the house, I sprayed enzyme cleaner (Clorox + Orange one) almost everywhere. Cat outside, slept next to me as usual
-Day #4: Pooped in a random spot in the hallway???

-Of Note: Poop is SOLID. Sausage shaped lumpy. Smells like poop (nothing out of the ordinary). Color normal brown.
Now what? My mother can’t have him pooping around the house. Litter is cleaned daily and now the box/mat/litter/linings all new. Used enzyme cleaner to remove any “scents” possible. Brother isn’t home if he’s a trigger etc etc. My only other 2 thoughts are: 1- I saw a red spot possibly from the Maine Coon (monitoring – unsure if it’s from the urine or poop). 2- Cosequin maybe?? Chew-ables making his butt hole lose?
ANY idea? I’m super stressed because if I don’t know the cause…. What if he continues to do this?

OF NOTE: Same cat, when I got him at 4 months old, he used to pee outside box for 1 whole month. Positive re-enforcement did NOT work. Placing him in a large tent with a litter box to retrain did NOT help. The only thing that helped was when I made him smell the pee and said “bad cat” in a firm (not yelling) tone – then I would put him in the large kernel (made for ferrets) and place him in the litter box. Did that twice and he immediately somehow learned. When I came back from work, he would go in the litter box (in and out) and meow to show me. So, I let him out of the kernel after 2 days and he never did that again (under normal circumstances). He did it when my parents visited – peed on their beds and chair twice. So I did the same as above sniff, “bad cat”, kernel with food/water/sandbox aka “punishment” and again never did that again – which is why I said maybe territory or revenge act.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you saying he has had Cosequin chews for 3 weeks? Is there any particular reason that you started giving him Cosequin at his age? Maybe the reason you are giving them to him has more to do with the inappropriate pooping than the Cosequin itself? However, it does take Cosequin about that long to start benefiting a cat, so there could be a correlation there. It could be that they have begun to upset his digestive tract just enough to cause some aggravation like bloating or gas, without necessarily being enough to cause a change in his stool's consistency.

It could be something that your brother did differently, or wore, or somewhere he had been that affected your cat. For example, unusual scents can be brought in on shoes and clothes which can bother some cats.

I guess for now, I would stop the Cosequin, and see if he stops pooping inappropriately - it might take a few days or more. That however may also coincide with enough time passing since your brother has left should there have been something going on from that angle. And keep an eye on them to see if you can find out who left the red spot you mentioned (was that in a litter box or elsewhere?). It might be your Siamese and not the Maine coon, which - either way -would suggest something along the lines of a medical issue.

If it continues, a vet visit might be in order to look for things like anal gland problems - which can cause pooping issues. After that, you could confine him to a small room or bathroom with a litter box while you are not around to watch him. No pushing his face in his poop, no telling him he is bad, and certainly no locking him in a crate/kennel, especially not for hours on end. You are lucky that it did not backfire on you before and make his situation worse. I wouldn't push your luck doing such a thing again.

Cats do not act out in revenge, that is a human trait. And while they can be territorial, I am not seeing this to be the case with your cat - at least not with the information you have provided. There could have been other things going on that are harder to detect. Cats can be much more sensitive to things than humans ever will be. So, don't stop thinking about other things/events that went on around the time this started.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Storage bins at least 25 inches long. And numerous boxes. My cats go where ever I am so living room and bedroom. They are storage bins so I don't use the amount suggested,3+1 for 3 cats. Super long,26 inches cut. Look up dyi cat litterbox

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have to rule out medical before assuming behavioral. The sides of the box may be too high for him to get into. Rule of thumb is one litter box per cat plus one. I have two cats and three litter boxes. The size you have doesn’t matter, it’s the amount of boxes.

Cats don’t act out of revenge. They don’t think that way. He may be having constipation problems. I would start with s vet check and go from there.