Cat pooping on the floor randomly.

xarumitzu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, 

I just adopted a six year old male cat named Jake.  He's been with me for about four days now.  He's been absolutely amazing, except for his pooping habits.  Every now and then he will randomly decide to poop on my floor.  He uses the litterbox most times, but about once a day he decides to leave a treasure for me.  I've been trying to do some research on fixing the behavior, but I thought I'd run what I've done so far by you all and see if you guys had any more suggestions.

A little info: I live in a one bedroom apartment, he is neutered and front declawed (I did not de-claw him), he does fit in box boxes as they're quite large, they are both filled with un-scented clumping litter, his poops did smell pretty rank (that's what prompted me to try switching food).

So far I've: set up a second litterbox in a separate room, changed his food to a better quality food, plugged in a feliway diffuser, and tried scooping the boxes more frequently.  The food, and the feliway I just changed today, so I'm not sure how they will pan out.  Plus, I'm going to plan a trip to the vet as soon as I get paid again.  I don't know if he is just adjusting to the new environment, I have tried to get a hold of his previous owner to ask if this has been an issue before.  If you have any other questions feel free to ask, otherwise I appreciate any advice you offer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xarumitzu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah. It started in the kitchen. But I've found them in my bedroom, and living room now as well.

xarumitzu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I watched Jake like a hawk today and he didn't poop on the floor at all.  I feel like the food has helped a bit because he isn't going nearly as often as he was before, and they don't smell anywhere near as bad.  I did get a chance to talk to his previous owner, she told me he did poop on the floor with her a few times, and she just put a towel down where he normally did.  So I'm a bit afraid that this is a bit of a learned behavior.  He did kinda squat in my kitchen once and fart, and poop a bit, but it wasn't a normal amount.

xarumitzu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I watched Jake like a hawk today and he didn't poop on the floor at all.  I feel like the food has helped a bit because he isn't going nearly as often as he was before, and they don't smell anywhere near as bad.  I did get a chance to talk to his previous owner, she told me he did poop on the floor with her a few times, and she just put a towel down where he normally did.  So I'm a bit afraid that this is a bit of a learned behavior.  He did kinda squat in my kitchen once and fart, and poop a bit, but it wasn't a normal amount.
I spoke too soon. He pooped on the mat underneath one of the boxes. I really don't know what to do at this point. I'm trying to keep calm around him but it's getting to be difficult.

xarumitzu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
normally i would suggest either putting a litter box or his food where he poops. but that would be difficult if it's always different random spots. just try to to hold out until the vet visit. 
I can try moving the box in the living room to a more open location closer to where he seems to poop.