Cat Pooping On Rug -- need help!

meowlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've had our kitty for about a year now. This just started recently in the past couple months.

Our kitty has been pooping on the rug in the bathroom that's right next to his litter box. He urinates in his litter box just fine, but sometimes he poops in his box and sometimes he poops on the rug.

He has an automatic litter box so the box is pretty much always clean unless it gets stuck, and I come clean it out right away. No traumatic events recently (no new family members, no new pets, no traumatic vet visits recently, same litter box he's always had). We did move about 6 months ago to our new place, but this behavior only started recently like 2-3 months ago when we put rugs in the bathroom. So I'm not exactly sure what is causing this behavior.

We would very very much like this behavior to stop.

Here are things I am thinking to try:
- Get a second litter box. Maybe he likes to poop in one and pee in the other? Who knows how cats think.
- Get a bigger litter box. He's a big cat, 21 lbs and still growing (Maine Coon). May the litter box is too small for his tastes?
- Get rid of the rug. We never had this problem until we put rugs in the bathroom. But unfortunately this means its very slippery for us when we step out of the shower on the floor.

Any input or advice would be much appreciated.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd do all of the above (two boxes, that are bigger, scooped at least twice a day), plus try Cat Attract litter. And lose the rugs!
Re the slippery floor, I have a cotton bath mat that I just put next to the shower as I start the water going. The bath mat goes up to hang over the shower door when I'm done. Knock wood, haven't slipped yet - and the bath mat is a lot easier to wash regularly, at least IMO.

Good luck - been there and I know it's not fun. If changing the boxes doesn't work, I'd really suggest a vet check. Are the poos the same as always, just outside of the box, or are they any different at all (harder, softer, whatever)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hanging the bath mat is a wonderful idea. I wish I had thought of that sooner. Thanks so much for that suggestion! I'm definitely going to try that along with the other ideas.

happyjane50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did the rug hanging help?

sounds like its all down to the rug - maybe it has an odour on it that that cat dislikes?

Any hoo my husband is the same!

mark127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same exact issue and sought out a cat behaviorist. They recommended the cat attract litter plus using an under-the-bed chest as a litter box so it was actually like 2-3 times the size of a regular litter box. The Cat Attract is pretty expensive too so I wasn't too happy about that but it did immediately stop the pooping. I have since been able to get rid of the Cat Attract but not the oversized litter box.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely advise getting a second, large litterbox - one of mine is this one: Petmate Giant Littepan - it is fantastic, as it is huge, and it is also treated with microban so it doesn't harvest bacteria... meaning 0 odor on the plastic!
Highly recommend Cat attract litter - here is a rebate form, so your first bag is free (up to 40lbs).
Make sure to scoop it 2x a day... If you keep the rug, clean with a good enzyme cleaner... But if you can get rid of it, I would...
Pooping outside of the box in general means the kitty doesn't like the box or the litter.... especially when he is pooping right next to it.
Good luck!